New Year in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: New Year in Cambodia

Post by Doc67 »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:31 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:59 am Hey man chill ... I only know what I saw with my own two eyes… = my memory
All of which are proving increasingly unreliable
May i suggest you apply this liberally...
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

hanno wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:34 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am Tet in Vietnam is great ... flowers everywhere ... just a damn good vibe ... and traffic is a breeze.
Every mode of transport is packed to the rafters, ticket prices quadruple, popular destinations are completely overcrowded, and everything is shut down. And the flower markets are BEFORE Tet. Don't speak if you don't know what you are talking about.
Yes, it's definitely a very bad time to be traveling domestically.

However, I think he must be referring to traffic in Sài Gòn, which empties out considerably as millions return to their hometowns, which causes the massive crowds on public transport and the roads heading out of town. The result is that the big city gets relatively quiet.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:19 pm
hanno wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:34 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am Tet in Vietnam is great ... flowers everywhere ... just a damn good vibe ... and traffic is a breeze.
Every mode of transport is packed to the rafters, ticket prices quadruple, popular destinations are completely overcrowded, and everything is shut down. And the flower markets are BEFORE Tet. Don't speak if you don't know what you are talking about.
Yes, it's definitely a very bad time to be traveling domestically.

However, I think he must be referring to traffic in Sài Gòn, which empties out considerably as millions return to their hometowns, which causes the massive crowds on public transport and the roads heading out of town. The result is that the big city gets relatively quiet.
Sure, the cities are dead (though not as dead as they used to be), which makes it a really bad time to be there.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

hanno wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:31 pm
Sure, the cities are dead (though not as dead as they used to be), which makes it a really bad time to be there.
Unless you live in Vũng Tàu, which gets well packed during the extended holiday immediately following the three days of Tết.
At that time, it's a good time to be most anywhere else.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

sigmoid wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:15 pm
hanno wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:31 pm
Unless you live in Vũng Tàu, which gets well packed during the extended holiday immediately following the three days of Tết.
At that time, it's a good time to be most anywhere else.
And Sa Pa. And Ha Tien. And HA Long. And Da Nang. And, and and. Many of my VN friends do not do the whole traditional Tet thing anymore, they had for a holiday.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

The past few weekends in Vung Tau have been relatively quiet as the "Saigon crowd" which usually arrive en masse are saving themselves for the Tet holidays. Trying to travel in country by any means, especially at the start and end of Tet, is sheer bedlam.
Navrig
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Navrig »

Thanks guys.

I'll plan my schedule either to be in Saigon or, more likely, Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic