Koh Rong int’l airport construction begins

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Koh Rong int’l airport construction begins

Post by phuketrichard »

I went once to Koh Rong with my friend on his boat and stayed on board and ventured on land to have a look and the island looked lovely, of course this was back in 2017>

opinion?
will this ruin or help koh Rong?? anyone ever used the airport at Shinoukville?
State authorities have confirmed that the earthworks for the first phase of construction of the Koh Rong International Eco-Tourism Airport is now underway on the island.

The State Secretariat of Civil Aviation, Sin Chanserivutha, told the media last week that Cambodian conglomerate, the Royal Group, the primary owner and key developer of the new airport project at Koh Rong, is currently clearing land for the project’s construction, signifying the long-awaited development is now full-steam ahead.

Chanserivutha noted that the landfilling works now underway at the new airport site have begun following the company having settled any potential social impact issues with local residents, and other due diligence with local and national authorities.

The now-commenced construction of the Koh Rong International Eco-Tourism Airport (Level 4C) is located within the Koh Rong Development Zone.

The Koh Rong airport, which will be Cambodia’s fourth functioning airport following Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, is expected to have its first phase completed within five years, with extension plans already settled for phase two.

The new airport venture by the Royal Group comes in light of a 99-year lease agreement signed in February 2008, by the Royal Group Co., Ltd., and the Council for the Development of Cambodia.

The lease of around one-fifth of the island was granted to the group to develop Koh Rong Island into a commercial development area and an ecotourism resort.

The agreement also stipulated that Royal Group would also include airport infrastructure to aid the island’s economic growth.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501427850/ ... on-begins/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Koh Rong int’l airport construction begins

Post by khmerhamster »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:08 pm I went once to Koh Rong with my friend on his boat and stayed on board and ventured on land to have a look
Schrödinger’s Richard. Both on land and on-board boat at the same time.
Magnificent.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Both Koh Rong islands have seen massive development since I first went in 2014 & so happy to have seen them then (like going to Ko Phi Phi in Thailand in the 1980/1990's I guess)

Do any of the old-timers think massive development & increased tourists numbers by 1000's of % has improved anywhere they visited years ago ?, I doubt it

Virtually everywhere you go in SE Asia, there is massive uncontrolled development (it seems), and everybody (understandably) trying to jump on the money train to make as much money as they can
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Yeah I've used the Sihanoukville airport, a few years back now.
Flew in from Ho Chi Minh, it was okay.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I got married or I mean I had my honeymoon at koh samui long before they ever had an airport
Had both my father and mother in law there , I can’t believe I still remember .
I wonder what happened to “ our “ house i had and let them have my part when we moved to USA when the
old king wasn’t doing so well and the military started in the running the show
im still married to thier daughter , but she is working in seattle and
we haven’t spoken for a year or 2 before I came here on that day that will live in infamy

There was a time I wanted to go back and have a look around , but since the good old king died thailand is a big shit hole
Except for the language , I love it since I can’t understand cambodian , it sounds like drunk australiens trying to talk thai
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

pre 1989, i was there 1st time long before, a beautiful place back than
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Who is going to use it?

PP - SNK is now doable on the road in ~2.5 hours, plus a rather 'interesting' boat ride - add 45 mins - so door to door from PP to a hotel on Koh Rong is now around 5 hours, allowing for connections, and for around $90 for a couple each way. I think @armchairlawyer lawyer did this trip a while back.

Any flight from PP airport will take 30 mins to get to the airport, check in + waiting around for the plane add another 90 mins (and that would be cutting it fine), plus about 45 mins in the air. Deplane and then deal with the newly minted taxi/tuk mafia to your hotel, add another 45 mins. Total, 3.5 hours, at best. But the cost of flights will be huge if the PP-SAI route is anything to go by, the time saving is marginal and is hardly going to justify $75 per head each way (or more?) plus taxis to and from the airports (add another $20.) That's $170 per couple each way.

So who is going to use this airport? The Chinese? They aren't beachy type people, are they?

And the last time I looked, Koh Rong has very little going on and is barely worth a cheap trip from PP. If you are in Bangkok, KL or SGN, you are spoilt for choice for beach destinations. I can't see Koh Rong attracting anywhere near enough to justify a direct flight.

Sure, with a new airport there will be some speculation from developers looking to build huge resorts, but this is all a huge gamble. Isn't there a Dara Sakor airport and a resort that is a flop? Just because you build it, it does not guarantee they will come.

So, who is going to use this airport?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

In a few decades or so I think beach destinations will be something of the past. The last two times I visited a beach it was hardly any fun. The amount of (plastic) garbage both in the water and on the beach was so massive it really put me off.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:45 am In a few decades or so I think beach destinations will be something of the past. The last two times I visited a beach it was hardly any fun. The amount of (plastic) garbage both in the water and on the beach was so massive it really put me off.
I assume ur referring to Cambodia, not world wide?
beach's & islands will always be a draw for tourism
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:15 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:45 am In a few decades or so I think beach destinations will be something of the past. The last two times I visited a beach it was hardly any fun. The amount of (plastic) garbage both in the water and on the beach was so massive it really put me off.
I assume ur referring to Cambodia, not world wide?
beach's & islands will always be a draw for tourism
Cambodia, Thailand and the Netherlands. Even the North Sea beach in the Netherlands looked awful last September, despite a pretty strong current taking all the plastic to more quiet places.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic