ABA App possibly hacked

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jimbean
Expatriate

Re: ABA App possibly hacked

Post by Jimbean »

I am a older guy now .I said what happened to us only for peoples to be careful .We are waiting to publish the full story after the sentencing of the thief in Siam Reap .The banks will do nothing to help you recover yours stolen funds .They will tell you to get a police report and to go to court .They will never help you to get informations on the thieves accounts where your money was transfered even if the recipient do not want to go to police and had already a complaint similar against him months before. Living long time here i have seen the high level of corruption in this institutions .It will not be easy if you loose your phone and the thieves were able by any way to acess your bank application in my case like for many others peoples on our list at ABA bank .
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Jimbean wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:36 pm The banks will do nothing to help you recover yours stolen funds .They will tell you to get a police report and to go to court .They will never help you to get informations on the thieves accounts
I think you need to realize that the bank cannot just take the money from the account of the recipient and return it to you. What if it was a legitimate transaction and you fraudulently ask them to revert it? That, too, has happened.

So they're just following procedure. You need to file a police report and go through the legal process to reclaim your funds.The bank can't adjudicate such a case, and as far as they are concerned, the transactions in question were authorized via the app. It wasn't the app that got compromised, but the respective account holder.
Jimbean
Expatriate

Post by Jimbean »

So we will have to pass under the Caudine Forks first 😁
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

So @Jimbean, you have no issue constantly repeating ABA as the problem, why don’t you name the bar/restaurant you were supposedly drugged at? I personally believe that’s the more important information to provide everyone here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:18 pm
Jimbean wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:36 pm The banks will do nothing to help you recover yours stolen funds .They will tell you to get a police report and to go to court .They will never help you to get informations on the thieves accounts
I think you need to realize that the bank cannot just take the money from the account of the recipient and return it to you. What if it was a legitimate transaction and you fraudulently ask them to revert it? That, too, has happened.

So they're just following procedure. You need to file a police report and go through the legal process to reclaim your funds.The bank can't adjudicate such a case, and as far as they are concerned, the transactions in question were authorized via the app. It wasn't the app that got compromised, but the respective account holder.
Of course, as soon as your money hits the thieves ABA account, it will be removed quickly, so even if ABA agreed to recall the money it is doubtful it will still be there. It certainly won't be once the thief knows you are onto them.

Beef up security, change that ridiculous $50k limit and place spare funds into short-term TD's so they can't be removed. There is also an argument for a dedicated phone just for banking apps where large sums are stored and just one app on your everyday phone for everyday expenses, such as ABA for convenience.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Or, don’t leave your phone sitting around where it can be swapped out with one that looks like yours, and don’t accept milkshakes from pretty girls you don’t know who show up where you live.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic