Obtaining a bank draft check for Hong Kong..?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wanderer7777
Expatriate
United States of America

Obtaining a bank draft check for Hong Kong..?

Post by wanderer7777 »

Maybe somebody could give me some insight on this. I have to send a payment to the Registry in Hong Kong. The amount is 305 HK (approx. 40 USD). They told me I needed to send a banker draft check. They gave me a list of about 100 banks that are part of the HONG KONG ASSOCIATION of banks. They said any of these banks would do. I found about ten banks here in PP that are on that list. Ok, so far I have gone to four banks on the list. Not one of them understood the procedure and said ''we don't perform that service" Yeah these banks don't understand the service of issuing a BANK draft check.. I showed each bank the emailed, detailed message from HK. I showed them the online list of ASSC.OF HK BANKS.That THEIR BANK was listed on AND the location of THEIR fellow bank branch IN HONG KONG ON GOOGLE MAP! I brought the definition of what a bank draft check is, translated into Khmer! To top it off, I even went to the Bank of China ( Hong Kong Limited)!! (who is on that list), right here in Phnom Penh. Where they have the same fellow bank branch FIVE BLOCKS from the registry IN Hong Kong! Again I brought the detailed image from Google Maps and the address and phone number. Nope..they couldn't figure it out. I contacted the Registry in HK and they said, '' There should not be ANY problem and those banks should provide you with a bank draft check, especially The Bank Of China ''. I have a few more lesser-known banks to try. But if the Bank of China Hong Kong can't wrap its head around it and won't do it, I don't know who will. Anyone with advice or feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Obtaining a bank draft check for Hong Kong..?

Post by Kammekor »

I had to look up what a 'back draft check' is, and checked with my (EU) bank, they stopped issuing those in January 2020 and you could cash on them until the end of Dec 2020.

Maybe you're looking for an obsolete tool?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Obtaining a bank draft check for Hong Kong..?

Post by Alex »

I think I used the last bank draft in 2001 or so. Surely there must be better options nowadays, especially for such a tiny amount.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic