Int'l Banks accepting Cambodian Residency

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
JJ62
Expatriate
Australia

Int'l Banks accepting Cambodian Residency

Post by JJ62 »

Hi All,

I'm in the midst of 'retiring' to Cambodia but struggling with sorting int'l banking along with the OECD/FATCA/CRS rules, etc.
Fortunately, Cambodia hasn't (yet) signed up to mandatory CRS reporting between banks & tax authorities, unlike Thailand which has just implemented this minefield.

I have a local ABA account which works very well but I wouldn't trust them or any local bank with large holdings.

So, I'd prefer to open an account with a major overseas bank in, e.g. Singapore, but none of them will accept a Cambodian address & contacts. I've called them all - Citibank, HSBC, OCBC, UOB, DBS, Maybank - & they all say no.

Can anyone recommend a reputable int'l bank somewhere safe & secure, that is not overly difficult to open an account with & most importantly, isn't bothered by Cambodian residency?

Cheers JJ62
😉
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Int'l Banks accepting Cambodian Residency

Post by Bluenose »

Standard Bank, Isle of Man
They have accounts (including debit cards) that are tailored to expats, as long as you have GBP 5,000 or equivalent there are no standing charges either. The banks there are part of a deposit protection scheme that covers you up to GBP 50,000
JJ62
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Int'l Banks accepting Cambodian Residency

Post by JJ62 »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:36 pm Standard Bank, Isle of Man
They have accounts (including debit cards) that are tailored to expats, as long as you have GBP 5,000 or equivalent there are no standing charges either. The banks there are part of a deposit protection scheme that covers you up to GBP 50,000
Thanks Bluenose,
An initial trial online application reveals Standard Bank IOM rejects me as an Aussie resident in Cambodia but accepts me as a Brit resident in Cambodia.
No explanation but there it is. 🤔
Cheers JJ62
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic