Cruise Ships (and Tourists) Return to Cambodia's Shores

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cruise Ships (and Tourists) Return to Cambodia's Shores

Post by cabron »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:14 pm I wonder what they do in Sihanoukville ?
Perhaps hoping to see a live Chinese Mafia gun fights around the Golden Lions runabout.
Boredom is like a shroud
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

I think it was November 2021, one of those really big Norwegian cruise ships was docked for over one month in Sihanoukville. No passengers and not in the news. But I saw it lit up at night, riding by the port.

Cambodia was one of the first countries to relax immigration rules post-COVID, so the cruise company took advantage of that to stage their first Asia area cruise from Cambodia.

As I understand it, passengers were not embarking at Sihanoukville, but only the crew, who were mostly younger people flying in from Europe and the Philippines, etc... wherever, from all over.

The ship eventually left for somewhere nearby, probably somewhere like Guangzhou or Japan, to pick up the passengers...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

cabron wrote:
jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:14 pm I wonder what they do in Sihanoukville ?
Perhaps hoping to see a live Chinese Mafia gun fights around the Golden Lions runabout.
Cruise ship passengers are probably strictly off limits to the Chinese Mafia. They aren’t there for Chinese girly bars and drugs. Maybe light gambling, but they have that on the cruise ships already.

Of course if any gangster is stupid enough to highjack an entire cruise ship bus tour and try to ransom off the tourists would incur the wrath of both the Cambodian and Chinese authorities.

Narco terrorists drove in and started shooting up Acapulco a while back. Mexican army troops surrounded the city and fortified the cruise ship tourist areas to ensure peace and tranquility.
KevinTan
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by KevinTan »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:42 pm Of course if any gangster is stupid enough to highjack an entire cruise ship bus tour and try to ransom off the tourists would incur the wrath of both the Cambodian and Chinese authorities.
They are not stupid. It's more profitable to overcharge them for Made-in-China "I ♥ Cambodia" t-shirts and food & drinks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic