Alleged Pedophile DAVID BRYANT caught in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SiemReapLOL
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Alleged Pedophile DAVID BRYANT caught in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by SiemReapLOL »

The judge demanded 80,000$ to let him out of prison. He couldn’t pay or wouldn’t pay. This week the court gave him 7 year sentence
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

SiemReapLOL wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:46 am The judge demanded 80,000$ to let him out of prison. He couldn’t pay or wouldn’t pay. This week the court gave him 7 year sentence
Any links to news outlets or is this the 'word on the street'?
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I live in Cairns, Far North Queensland. Ice is endemic and indigenous disadvantage common.
In the last year 14 people, 12 men and 2 women have been convicted of supplying and shooting up children in order to sexually abuse them. Most men are in their fifties or sixties but some are younger. This is just the tip of an iceberg.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:14 pm
SiemReapLOL wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:46 am The judge demanded 80,000$ to let him out of prison. He couldn’t pay or wouldn’t pay. This week the court gave him 7 year sentence
I'm a local in SR with my ear relatively well-connected to the ground, and I haven't seen any of the as-expected press releases or US Embassy announcements that usually accompany an arrest of an American (since despite the high profile cases, it's still extremely uncommon for anyone to be arrested, let alone charged and convicted for sex crimes here, as such debauchery is no longer commonplace the way it once was in the 90s-2010s), nor have I seen any official statements from the National Police who usually seem keen enough to announce these things.

Is there even any evidence that this guy has committed a crime at all? No such evidence is in English, Khmer, or indeed any other language, and googling certain snippets of sentences leads back to the two main Cambodian forums on the internet, so is it possible this is all just a malicious rumour?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

There should be a public roster of people housed in the detention center you could check to
see if a person is there or allowed visitors .
.. there was where I was from , and the reason they are in there
you should be able to check and see if visitors are allowed .
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:01 am
I'm a local in SR with my ear relatively well-connected to the ground, and I haven't seen any of the as-expected press releases or US Embassy announcements that usually accompany an arrest of an American (since despite the high profile cases, it's still extremely uncommon for anyone to be arrested, let alone charged and convicted for sex crimes here, as such debauchery is no longer commonplace the way it once was in the 90s-2010s), nor have I seen any official statements from the National Police who usually seem keen enough to announce these things.

Is there even any evidence that this guy has committed a crime at all? No such evidence is in English, Khmer, or indeed any other language, and googling certain snippets of sentences leads back to the two main Cambodian forums on the internet, so is it possible this is all just a malicious rumour?
The first post is a translation of a Khmer article reporting on the arrest of this guy

It's relatively common for high profile arrests to be made and then no follow up story happens - it doesn't mean that the people detained were released or that charges were dropped. Just the way it seems to go very often
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:33 am
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:01 am

The first post is a translation of a Khmer article reporting on the arrest of this guy

What is the link to the story in Khmer? Roughly a month later and I still haven't seen news, updates, reports prison sentences, nothing. Only word-of-mouth on two expat forums: This one, and Khmer440.

Not that I care for this weirdo--but it does seem a bit unfair to say he not only committed a horrendous sex crime, but was also tried and found guilty without so much as a word from the US embassy (which from past precedent, usually seems quite keen on reporting these things). Perhaps we should try and find out what happened straight from the horse's mouth (i.e, National Police/USGOV).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic