Expats who Call Their GF's 'Wife', When They Aren't Married

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
picooie
Expatriate

Re: Expats who Call Their GF's 'Wife', When They Aren't Marr

Post by picooie »

Joon,

If you start calling your gf songsa you are going to get a slap in the face most likely. Songsa is mistress/ backup lover. Mith Srey is gf. The last one prapone/ padai is wife and husband.

I have been with my wife for 11 years and she has been called that pretty much the whole time. Common law is good for me.

picooie
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Thanks, Picooie, but I'm pretty confident I know what I'm talking about. Songsa doesn't always and commonly have the extra-marital relationship connotation.

But it is mostly used by kids, teenagers and young adults. Valentine's Day is commonly called "Bon Songsa" (Lovers' Day), although there is a trend to call it "Bon ney Sechkdey Srolanh" (The Day of Love). There's also a well-known, private island called Koh Songsaa (Sweethearts Island).

The commonly used terms for mistresses are "srey, propoun chong, and sahay."
But yes, if people know you're married, they could use "songsa" as a euphemism to refer to your adulterous lover.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

The adulterous lover connotation is what I hear quite frequently with the people I am around. At least in my circles songsa is basically a mistress or an afternoon lover. But that is not going so far as calling a girl srey pesha. FYI I am trying to spell phonetically.

cheers
picooie
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I thought... (I'll ask my Khmer instructor tomorrow for clarification, if it can mean other things)

Songsa = Sweetheart.

If your married and calling a someone your "Sweetheart" your obviously going to have problems.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I referred to my (ex) khmer partner as wife. We never married. We couldn't as she was already married to another foreigner who she fucked over. I did not see that as a warning sign that she'd fuck me over too. Silly me...
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Digg3r wrote:I referred to my (ex) khmer partner as wife. We never married. We couldn't as she was already married to another foreigner who she fucked over. I did not see that as a warning sign that she'd fuck me over too. Silly me...
Interesting...I've never heard of a Barang being "fucked over" by a Khmer woman...I thought that they all were meek, mild, quiet, obedient, subservient...just little jewels wrapped in pure silk...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Yeah, one in a million...
Just my luck
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

I asked my wife to clarify the songsa thing. She said that before you are married and are bf and gf songsa is the common term. People who are married and have a songsa now that is a mistress. I am around a bunch of 30 to 50 yo women and when they say songsa it is definately the extra marital version.
Joon you were right.

picooie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic