Reinventing Kep

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: Reinventing Kep

Post by one_dolla »

Mostcurious wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:03 pm Visited Deli's Kep recently , thought the food and drink were expensive even by western standards.
Should have crossed the street to Captain Chims..they still have a simple menu that is very affordable I think the most expensive meal is under $5...I assume you were at the place on the short road to the Rabbit island pier
Mostcurious
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Mostcurious »

Whilst visiting Kep by scooter from Kampot, I was just looking for a nice place to eat by the coast, which is how I came across Deli's Kep restaurant.
It has a beautiful view of the pier and Kep bay, the decor inside is nice.
Deli's Kep restaurant seems like a high end, fine dining establishment, just my opinion.
For example the bread at Deli's Kep is expensive. Even bread purchased from Waitrose supermarket in the UK, which some consider posh is less expensive.
When coming to SE Asia, I like to eat local food, talk to local people, travel by public transport.
Eating at high end restaurants isn't really appealing. There are a few high end restaurants in Kampot like this.
One place, the Rikitikitavi doesn't even serve fish and chips anymore, shocking !
Thank you for the advice, next time I will try Captain Chims.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Mostcurious wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:41 pm For example the bread at Deli's Kep is expensive. Even bread purchased from Waitrose supermarket in the UK, which some consider posh is less expensive.
When coming to SE Asia, I like to eat local food, talk to local people, travel by public transport.
If you like to eat "local food", maybe rice would be a better choice than bread. Then again we've had people lamenting overpriced goldfish, so I'll bite, how much did their expensive bread cost you?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Alex wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:21 pm
Mostcurious wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:41 pm For example the bread at Deli's Kep is expensive. Even bread purchased from Waitrose supermarket in the UK, which some consider posh is less expensive.
If you like to eat "local food", maybe rice would be a better choice than bread. Then again we've had people lamenting overpriced goldfish, so I'll bite, how much did their expensive bread cost you?
Well the locally baked "baguettes" have a high proportion of rice flour in them. That's why they go rock hard so quickly. What a lot of people don't get is how expensive it is to import or produce certain foods here. Sure, if you don't mind scraping shards of meat off gristly bones with a pile of chipped rice and dried fish that's fine. I eat that stuff sometimes too, but fuct if I'd want to live on it when there is a choice.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

I get why dairy and chilled/frozen food is expensive. But other stuff… is there a high import tax on barang type foods?
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

I didn't realize that about the rice flour baked into the bread. That does explain a bit. I had some pretty decent breakfasts at Rikitikitavi which included toast that must have been the imported, packaged stuff. Toasts up better anyhow.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:38 am I get why dairy and chilled/frozen food is expensive. But other stuff… is there a high import tax on barang type foods?
If importing the official way then some stuff, prepared meat products as an example, is 35%.
Any logistics here is expensive compared to other countries, basic Customs clearance including tax evaluation is around $430 for a container/truck.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Mostcurious wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:03 pm Visited Deli's Kep recently , thought the food and drink were expensive even by western standards.
Considering the location, layout and quality of the produce it is a very reasonable price.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Mostcurious wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:41 pm Whilst visiting Kep by scooter from Kampot, I was just looking for a nice place to eat by the coast, which is how I came across Deli's Kep restaurant.
It has a beautiful view of the pier and Kep bay, the decor inside is nice.
Deli's Kep restaurant seems like a high end, fine dining establishment, just my opinion.
For example the bread at Deli's Kep is expensive. Even bread purchased from Waitrose supermarket in the UK, which some consider posh is less expensive.
Eating at high end restaurants isn't really appealing. There are a few high end restaurants in Kampot like this.
One place, the Rikitikitavi doesn't even serve fish and chips anymore, shocking !
Thank you for the advice, next time I will try Captain Chims.
Couple of points

The bread is more expensive than the local Khmer/Viet baguettes that are stale in an hour - Kep Delis is more proper French almost sourdough style and as someone else mentions doesn't use rice flour. They are doing over 100 covers a day on the weekends so they must be doing something right. The location and decor is pretty cool and there is an air-con room as well. The main chef is a young guy called Emilio who used to own Atlas in Kampot and he leans towards north African and Mediterranean dishes that are always interesting. I noticed they have added a whole Khmer menu now as well. 90% of the dishes are between $3-9. The deli section is pretty diverse and unmatched in Kep and prices are very reasonable.

Rikitiki is under new ownership, northern Brits, and fish and chips is back on the menu
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Also of note and related to the bit of the article talking about ferries and PQ - there is now a Customs office and an Immigration office on that pier.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic