What are monthly living costs?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: What are monthly living costs?

Post by hanno »

hdgh29 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:09 pmI lived in Vietnam for a few years and Cambodia is much cheaper all round.
Depends where you live. I was in Sa Pa before coming here. $350 rent for a brand-new house with 4 bedrooms, fireplace, large living room, large kitchen. Restaurant food was considerably cheaper than in Phnom Penh. Shopping was also cheaper than here, as many things I like were not available there. I'd say I did not spend more than $1,000 a months for 4 people, that does not even pay my rent here.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

hdgh29 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:09 pm Usually spend around 100 a week on groceries and eat at home most days - cereal and fruit for breakfast, cheese toastie for lunch, most nights - ( I am a simple guy) sausage and mash or egg beans and chips does it for me.
$100 a week sounds like a lot to buy those ingredients. Are there any particular luxury foodstuffs in that estimate ? Belgian chocolate, French cheese, Italian wine etc. Or expensive steaks ? Quality beef is now a rare treat for me.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

hdgh29 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:09 pm I rent a western style 2 bedroom apartment in Siem Reap for 250, walking distance to big supermarket . Power and water adds 50. Usually spend around 100 a week on groceries and eat at home most days - cereal and fruit for breakfast, cheese toastie for lunch, most nights - ( I am a simple guy) sausage and mash or egg beans and chips does it for me. I go out for live bands and pub quiz a couple of times a week and spend around 50 on beer and snacks . Put aside a bit for annual visa renewal. All up I can get by and have a happy life on about $1500 a month, but might struggle on less. Only real luxury is my Honda Phantom which costs around 5 every 2 weeks in gas, but I don't ride as much as I'd like. I lived in Vietnam for a few years and Cambodia is much cheaper all round.
Vietnam is great, but visas post -CV are difficult. Lived there 4 year total, Saigon, Da Lat, Da Nang ... all are good. They really do need a reasonable retirement visa.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

As a single person, for 1500$ you can live in a condo with a pool, few times a week eating cheese and ham with bottle of wine, visiting places where you are told that you are handsome man :beer3: You can survive on less than 1000$ in PP, but that's a boring miserable life.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Family of six

Basic essential costs - rent, education, food all prepped at home, fuel, utilities, water, beer, cigarettes, data bundles, medical allowance - $1000pcm

There's no fun in living like a poor though, so whether there's $4 more or $3000 more than $1000 available any given month - the chances that it gets spent are very high
Mcdrizzle
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Mcdrizzle »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 am
11bravo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:47 am Thanks! what are the requirements for visa's, am i able to enter Cambodia without one? and what is the length of stay for the one granted?
Nobody can enter without a visa except Cambodians. Visas are all 30 days long.

11bravo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:06 am So, watching a youtuber id heard that if your on a 30 day visa all you need to do is take a trip over the border chat for a minute or stay for a night or two and then return with a new 30 day visa. is this correct?
That's a stupid way to do it and a waste of time and money. You get an extension instead.
Yes they can.
There will be swimming or walking through a vn rice paddy involved.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:19 am
ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:56 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:31 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:18 am every mom & pop shop will sell whenever they are open< its only enforced at the big store's> 7/11's
and u can drink at any restaurant & bar, as long as they are open. Hadley a restriction.
for a traveler that's very much still a restriction.
at bus stops etc there is nowhere to get beer, traveling around the country was a nightmare.

Thailand has some advantages like better food, communications and so on, but Cambodia has more freedom, and that is why I'm still choosing to spend my money here :good:
If beer is required at a bus stop and also needs to be on tap 24 hours a day, then maybe it isn't Thailand with the problem? All depends what lens you are looking through I guess.
Of course Thailand is the problem, I'm an adult and if I want to drink cold beer instead of water that's my choice.
Quite. :beer3:

I am also an adult - a reasonably responsible one these days - and don't often quaff beer early though I like the fact that if I wanted to, I could sit and have a beer in the morning sunshine as people went about their market business.

Spent a time in an increasingly Islamic Java being told beer is no good and I resented the liberty being taken away from me. Holy month was a nightmare by about 2010.

If your puritanical dictators tell you you're not allowed to enjoy a bacon sarnie to assuage your hangover, that's no reason to spoil my fun!

Cost of living here? I reckon I get through about 1500-2000, with family. Live ok but go without on some things. Still way better than I would be in home country. All good unless things go wrong. I think that's an important factor here.
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

It depends on your lifestyle.If you like to hit the pubs a lot it can get expensive.Additionally if you like to bar fine girls frequently it can get really expensevive.I retired from the military and lived in Thailand for many years but worked in several Asian countries over the passing years,to include Cambodia.I had a Thai girlfriend that kept me broke for about 14 years.I now hove a Cambodian wife that I have been married with for 27 years.My Cambodian wife is a blessing.She and I have never spoken an angry word to each other.She is not a former bar girl and I trust her with money and if we buy anything that's going to cost us more then a few dollars we discuss it and buy it when we can afford it rather than let it impact our normal expenses unless it is something that is important that we need immeidately.She and I are together 24/7 and do not get on each other's nerves.We do not drink or smoke or use drugs of any kind.I used to drink a lot and smoke cigarettes but gave it up many years ago.I just got tired of hangovers and decided to stop drinking and smoking.I suppose that may be the reason that my wife and I have never argued,we don;t have anything to argue about.If you get a good girl that is pretty and pleasant and has a good sense of humor you can have a happy realionship and live comfortably on a military pension or disability.I am also a former 11b4P and 11F4P who did 20 years in the army.You can get reimbursed for medical bills by sending them to Tricare if you are retired from the army.Or if you have a V.A. disability rating you can get it from the V.A.You can live ok on a couple of thousand a month if you don't hit the bars every night and if you don't fall in love with a Local girl that has a huge family that expects you to support them.I have about 8 pretty nieces in Cambodia that may be willing to get into a relationship with an American.None of them would try to milk you out of what ever they can get from you if they were to get in a relationship with you.Some of them have a mother who would try and get them to give her financial support but they are quickly learning to stand up to her as they work and have been giving her part of their earnings and are beginning to realize that they must break that habit or never be financially free of her.A couple of them have moved out of the family home and live in a shared apartment with each other to avoid that situation.If you have any questions about Cambodia.Thailand,or laos feel free to reply and give me your e-mail address and I will reply to you and let you know what ever I know.I have lived and worked in those countries.I also spent 4 years in Vietnam bat that was during the war there and it is nothing like it was back then now so I can;t tell you much other then the weather.I imagine that nothing there looks as it did when I was there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic