Pronoun sentiment.

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Pronoun sentiment.

Post by Freightdog »

I’m not sure if it could be said any better

khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Pronoun sentiment.

Post by khmerhamster »

I think that the pronouns issues could be resolved by not being a dick. That’s for both sides.

Recognise that people may mistakenly call you by a non-preferred pronoun. It isn’t necessarily malicious, especially first time meeting. You can gently correct people without embarrassing them.

And the other party, don’t insist on calling them something against their wishes. Just because you don’t understand doesn’t make it wrong.

Just don’t be a dick. A mantra I try (and fail daily) to live my life by.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

‘Bong’. Good for all situations. Unless they are older than you.

Khmer is much simpler way of seeing things.

Sometimes Khmer words comes from my mouth at the Chinese restaurant and I get a gentle correction..
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:07 am ‘Bong’. Good for all situations. Unless they are older than you.

Yeah, it’s so simple that you have it wrong!
Bong is (generally) for people older than you.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Don't be a dick - best advice ever IMO.

I occasionally see people being a dick in the media, either getting offended about what someone accidentally called them, or getting offended because they don't approve of someone's pronoun. I never seem to encounter them in real life though.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or I mix with easygoing people or something but I can't ever remember meeting a militant pronouner, seems like it's mostly people on twitter, facebook etc looking for clicks. The few people I know who get bent out of shape by the pronoun crowd spend a lot of time online, not much time with hobbies or dealing with real problems and, quite honestly, are angry about damn near everything.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

khmerhamster wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:00 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:07 am ‘Bong’. Good for all situations. Unless they are older than you.

Yes, bong for older, 'on' for younger. So many older expats here use bong incorrectly coz that's how they get addressed by invariably younger khmers. In such instances they should be using 'on' in return.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:09 am Maybe I'm just lucky, or I mix with easygoing people or something but I can't ever remember meeting a militant pronouner, seems like it's mostly people on twitter, facebook etc looking for clicks. The few people I know who get bent out of shape by the pronoun crowd spend a lot of time online, not much time with hobbies or dealing with real problems and, quite honestly, are angry about damn near everything.
Same as, I've never encountered this weird pronoun thing in real life, just some videos on Reddit or wherever.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:51 am
khmerhamster wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:00 am

Yes, bong for older, 'on' for younger. So many older expats here use bong incorrectly coz that's how they get addressed by invariably younger khmers. In such instances they should be using 'on' in return.
I was taught that even if a service person or waitress calls you "bong" that calling her 'oun' is too flirty/sweet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic