Increase in financial threshold for UK family visa applicants

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Increase in financial threshold for UK family visa applicants

Post by Doc67 »

Atmywitsend wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:12 am How can a Trading Block insruct a Uk company to move certain businesses to Eastern Europe ?. Surely that would be the decision of the CEO of any Business who wanted to take advantage of cheap labour. By the way pre Brexit Sterling to Dollar was £1.55. Its never moved above £1.30 since.
Well, it has, several times, but it currently struggles to maintain much above 1.30 for very long. Brexit was a big leg down, the GFC in 2008 was much worse. But I'm afraid the decline of the £ to the $ is a longer tragedy than simply Brexit.

The big picture. You don't need to be an expert chartist to appreciate this. Lower 'highs' and lower 'lows' are never a good sign.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:10 am
Freightdog wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:12 pm I know of several colleagues (British nationals, working overseas) who, even with good salaries, failed to meet or had major issues achieving the exacting requirements of the UK immigration mafia.
Come COVID, it resulted in some misery. But, anecdotally, this is maybe not consistent with all partners, as foreign partners are not all equal.
We had no issues when going through a good immigration firm (we met all the legal requirements but i had to jump through some hoops to prove my income on the initial application). Renewed the 2.5 year spouse/partner visa a couple of months ago. We'll have been here for 3 years in January.
There was some confusion about whether these changes will act retrospectively. I am not sure if it's been resolved yet, the news cycle has moved on and it's all about the Rwanda plan and whether Sunak will lose the vote tonight.

Good to see you've got your renewal issued. Once that's expired you'll be getting close to your wife obtaining citizenship by naturalisation. I assume that plan is in your sights?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:28 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:41 pm
Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:20 pm I think that's despicable. When someone immigrates to a country such as the UK, it's reasonable to put limitations on the importation of further family members of those new immigrants. BUT if someone is already a citizen and marries a foreigner, that foreigner should be allowed to move to the UK without having to meet ridiculous requirements. Where I'd draw the line is that those families should be able to support themselves, and I think the OLD requirements ensured just that.

Imposing such an arbitrary "top 23rd percentile" requirement screams xenophobia. Meanwhile they let illegals of the "religion of peace" variety run amok and behead people.

On the other hand, my impression is that the UK is even worse a shithole nowadays than it was when I visited the last time, in 2005. Not being able to move there might well be a blessing in disguise for those affected.
Well, if you are a Brit and have children with your Khmer partner then the UK is the only country that will issue them with a passport (besides Cambodia of course). And people have family connections etc.
I know the Pattaya visa service agents deal with a lot of UK builders, software guys and other freelancers who earn a lot in the UK but do it mostly for cash, so although their income is high they struggled to prove even the old £18k minimum!
The part I've highlighted in bold confuses me. As a Brit, if your half-Khmer children are born outside of the UK, do you have to take them to the UK and meet those insane financial requirements to get a UK passport for them?
No, the children are entitled to a UK passport without any conditions (theoretically). In practice the father has to produce a lot of evidence. But no financial conditions, and you don't have to take them to the UK.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Seems like another desperate over-reaction to Brexit if you ask me. Those in charge have assumed that 52% of the population are racist bigots, with this just the latest step of the Tories playing to their tune for votes.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:34 am 38k is not "in the top earning percentile" ;it's a modest wage
£38k is not in the top percentile obviously, but according to the most recent gov.uk earnings data from 2021, UK median income is £26.3k and an income of £38.2k is in the 73rd percentile i.e. only 27% of incomes are higher. Hardly a modest wage by the numbers. Admittedly the change at those percentiles is small but it is still the 73rd percentile.
Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... -after-tax
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Families already settled in UK won't have to meet new visa salary thresholds, Home Secretary signals
People already settled in Britain will not have to meet new salary thresholds when they renew their visas, the Home Secretary signalled on Wednesday.

James Cleverly said the plans designed to cut immigration figures are "forward looking rather than backward".
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 26688.html

Some relief for those who have already resettled but not completed the 5-year visa process. Little comfort for those planning a move though.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’m wondering if it’s because of perceived over immigration like the US has. Too many immigrants (refugees) coming over so need to cut the overall immigration numbers.

Unfortunately cutting the number of skilled immigrants in favor of those needing handouts.

I’m not a Brit. Any thoughts on this?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:37 pm I’m wondering if it’s because of perceived over immigration like the US has. Too many immigrants (refugees) coming over so need to cut the overall immigration numbers.

Unfortunately cutting the number of skilled immigrants in favor of those needing handouts.

I’m not a Brit. Any thoughts on this?
Nah, don’t think it’s related.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Well, that didn't take long. They have backed down and now the new minimum is £29,000.

If you ever need proof of how stupid and incompetent the UK government is, here's a perfect example. They come up with a headline to mollify the anti-immigration caucus and then discover the consequences of that decision and back down.

Either:
(1) the civil service is responsible for being unaware of the effects of the proposed decision and advising the minister poorly; or
(2) they were aware and informed the minister before the announcement but were ignored; or
(3) the minister simply announced it without knowing or asking his civil servants of the effects of the decision.

Either way, it just goes to show how poorly governed the UK is.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-67794032
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic