whats going on with Cambodian forums?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: whats going on with Cambodian forums?

Post by John Bingham »

He's not Australian. He's a Kiwi.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:53 am He's not Australian. He's a Kiwi.
He's a very naughty boy.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 pm
Back when? i am referring to the mid 2000's..... NOT the 70-80's :facepalm:
Same here! As recently as 2008, Phnom Penh still resembled Vientiane and had no amenities, no infrastructure, not even a bridge except the Japanese bridge which is almost 60 years old...malnutrition was still extremely commonplace, even in the capital.

It was a lot worse 15 years ago than it is now (though ofc it's hard to get worse than antebellum war-torn status I suppose). I think that is unequivocal

There is more corruption now then there ever was back than and the deference [sic] between those that have an those that dont is immense
As it is in every country, it just seems less acute outside of places like Cambodia because citizens in other countries seem comparatively less poor because they can afford Dominos more than once a month, and yet one third of all Americans don't even have 100 dollars in savings and the UK is currently facing tens of thousands of people suffering malnutrition and starvation, and these are both trillion USD economies.

So while Cambodia does have increasing income inequality, this seems to be a natural development of late-stage capitalism, not so much an issue endemic to Cambodia, or because of Cambodia's leadership.
I dont lament change, change is good, BUT its better when it benefits the majority NOT the minority as so often happens.
If you talk to your average Khmer about this (something I do a lot in my line of work), they seem to regard any time before 2015 as almost the dark ages in terms of development: landmines all over the place, no economic future (wages are one thing that have definitely gone up in Cambodia), no sense of stability, rampant sex tourism and drug use, etc.

Hell, even something like a cell phone or television used to be considered a luxury, now everyone has one.
As to south sudan, one of the 3 countries ( when it was all one Sudan) i spent a brief time in jail and even now its not a safe or wise place to be
I've been to East Timor, only had reports of South Sudan, but generally it was the same there as well; regardless, isn't that sense of unsafe, lawless adventure what attracted many expats here in the first place? E. Timor and S. Sudan are just two of the most lawless places I could think of.
Last edited by HaifongWangchuck on Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:55 pmWhat about Mindanao ... the bad part ... Abu Sayyaf country.
I haven't spent much time in the Philippines, but I got a sense it had an undercurrent of lawlessness and (what the Brasilians call) malandragem when I visited Pampanga about 8 years ago, and there were places in Metro Manila I was advised not to go even during the day, so I'm not sure you even have to travel to Jihadi Country for a sense of that (unless the Philippines have become more tame, which, judging by headlines, it is not).
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:33 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:55 pmWhat about Mindanao ... the bad part ... Abu Sayyaf country.
I haven't spent much time in the Philippines, but I got a sense it had an undercurrent of lawlessness and (what the Brasilians call) malandragem when I visited Pampanga about 8 years ago, and there were places in Metro Manila I was advised not to go even during the day, so I'm not sure you even have to travel to Jihadi Country for a sense of that (unless the Philippines have become more tame, which, judging by headlines, it is not).
Very good point. People have a lot to say about Mindanao without any further knowledge. The East and Northeast are not considered dangerous but they can be. Criminal gangs operate a feeder system to A.S., kidnapping and delivering the victims. That was the case with the hostage taking near Samal Island/Davao. Vast areas of the ARMM (Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao) or Bangsamoro are much safer for foreigners than other areas of the Phils due to the presence of units of the MILF and MNLF (Moro Islamic Liberation Front, Moro National Liberation Front) which are two sides of one coin. It is fine to walk around areas of the ARMM at night while doing that in Metro Manila or Cebu is asking for serious trouble.

A.S. country is limited to Jolo, Basilan and some smaller Islands with outposts, spies etc. stationed on the southern tip of Palawan, Zamboanga and some other places. Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters are active along a strip of the Rio Grande but are increasingly contained by MILF and MNLF. Some small units are left in the mountains of Southern Kudarat. Similarly, rests of the Maute and associated groups still hide out in the mountains south-east of Lake Marawi and commit attacks like the last bombing in Marawi.

The larger towns of the ARMM and adjacent areas experience a strong economic boom and the rise of malls. So on weekends, Muslim leaders are now sweating over their cc-bills when they see their multiple-wives and second-wives doing the rounds.

A clear sign that things get better in the Sulu archipelago is the recent opening of a ferry service, albeit very expensive, between Tawi-Tawi and Sabah, Borneo, Malaysia.

Foreigners can visit most of the regions now without much worry. It is very different from Cambodia in years past but then also very similar. Not many outside people go there so far.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic