Beer economics

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Beer economics

Post by Kammekor »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:41 pm
Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:13 pm I arrived here today exactly 9 years ago, and tried from the first day the three available beers in my guesthouse: Angkor-Anchor and Cambodia. And my taste was more for Anchor, now 9 years later i am still on Anchor, yesterday i tried a bottle of Carlsberg which wasnt my favorite in Europe in the 80s and 90s but it tasted surprisingly good to be honest. It should be brewed by danish standards but as its brewed in Sihanoukville, it would surprise me !!
That brewery imports a lot of malt and hops from Denmark so it should have some degree of authenticity
Ganzberg presumably has a German 'Biermeister'.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:29 pm
Ganzberg presumably has a German 'Biermeister'.
I woulda guessed polish / german

Of course just a guess ..

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:35 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:21 pm

And that other one from the old days was Klang -
- - - does that mean drunkin elephant ?
I used to drink a fair bit of Klang. I think it was about 7%, while ABC is more like 9%. Klang just means strong.
Why did it go away ? What happened to Klang the wild elephant beer ?
I don’t care , but
It makes me wonder ..
why do they do those things here ,
Cambodia, often known as the 'Kingdom of Wonder,' is a country that teems with natural beauty and historical sites. From iconic temple complexes to laid-back beaches and bustling riverside towns, the country offers a wide variety of experiences that leave travellers inspired.Sep 21, 2023

พิซออนเดอรูฟ
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:32 pm I’ll drink a draught whatever cambodia/angkor/anchor (so long as they pronounce it properly) as long as it’s cold. For the most part, they do seem all the same. If I want better flavour, I’ll have a Jameson’s alongside. Or a cup of black tea instead.

I’m no officionado or fan of lager-types, but Ganzberg, to me, is no less or more offensive than the others, save that it’s only dispensed from a can.
I prefer bottles. Give me a bucket of iced Peroni or Becks in bottles.

I’d prefer a draught Guinness. That ABC stuff is perilously close to being brain damage, I’m sure. However, as a marinade for beef in a pie, it could work.
Beer and Jameson/Ballantine's is how I survive on Thai beers. These days though, fresh, cold Tiger draft has seen some improvement.

I used to drink quite a bit of Cambodia draft (at a GSM beer bar) when it first came out. Was bored with Anchor and didn't quite relate well with Angkor. I do remember also quite a bit of Beer Lao (with whiskey) ending up on my bill at Sun Dance on 172.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:56 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:32 pm I’ll drink a draught whatever cambodia/angkor/anchor (so long as they pronounce it properly) as long as it’s cold. For the most part, they do seem all the same. If I want better flavour, I’ll have a Jameson’s alongside. Or a cup of black tea instead.

I’m no officionado or fan of lager-types, but Ganzberg, to me, is no less or more offensive than the others, save that it’s only dispensed from a can.
I prefer bottles. Give me a bucket of iced Peroni or Becks in bottles.

I’d prefer a draught Guinness. That ABC stuff is perilously close to being brain damage, I’m sure. However, as a marinade for beef in a pie, it could work.
Beer and Jameson/Ballantine's is how I survive on Thai beers. These days though, fresh, cold Tiger draft has seen some improvement.

I used to drink quite a bit of Cambodia draft (at a GSM beer bar) when it first came out. Was bored with Anchor and didn't quite relate well with Angkor. I do remember also quite a bit of Beer Lao (with whiskey) ending up on my bill at Sun Dance on 172.
That bucket of iced Peronis and Becks bottles doesn't sound too bad at all.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Probably would piss at the Octoberfest in Munich taste better than Ganzberg. Beer Lao is the best inexpensive beer I tried in SE Asia.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Budweiser? :beer3:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic