Regional Leaders Propose Seamless Tourism for Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Regional Leaders Propose Seamless Tourism for Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

"Vietnamese President Vo Van Thuong has suggested fostering seamless tourism collaboration among Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, eliminating the need for individual visas for travelers moving between these nations."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"In 2014, ASEAN explored the possibility of introducing a common or single visa to facilitate smoother travel within the region. Despite discussions, the initiative had not materialized fully, and the implementation of an ASEAN Single Visa remained under consideration."

Full article but few details (it's just a proposal that I doubt will go anywhere):

https://laotiantimes.com/2023/12/19/reg ... -cambodia/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Regional Leaders Propose Seamless Tourism for Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Siem Reap businesses would love this to happen. Thailand and (to a lesser extent) Vietnam are free to enter for most (real spending) tourists but Lao and Cambodia charge for visa on arrival. Recently the government here rejected abolition of the VoA fee.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Regional Leaders Propose Seamless Tourism for Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Post by Alex »

Let's see if it works out this time around, after it failed miserably when they first talked about it almost ten years ago. Sovereignty issues or whatever.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

That would be very nice if it ever happened, which I doubt a lot

When I first went to Bangkok in 2012, you had to buy separate tickets for the BTS & MRT systems, but there was talk of a new ticket which could be used for both

2023 - still waiting for that :)
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

What happens to the 2 land-entries per year rule in Thailand? Could be maintained, I guess.
What about the onward ticket rules in Vietnam and Thailand? Countries within the zone would disqualify but there is still Malaysia and Singapore for less expensive option and Indonesia and Phils for a bit more. People with an AK-47 and some spare ammo will opt for Burma, those with liquid soap China.

What I like about the proposal is that it shows that Vietnam is eager to boost tourism and is willing to change rules. I expect that the proposal will fail. This might lead to other improvements with the Vietnamese visa.

Indonesians were discussing to re-introduce a visa-waiver. Once more a government eager to increase its share of the pie. I doubt that Thailand is in a mood to share revenue.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Not sure how this would work.

Even though the Vietnamese president proposed this, I can't see VN allowing Americans and Australians to enter VN without a visa (they don't presently qualify under the 45-day visa-free scheme). The powers that be have resisted calls to include them. Some say it's not just about $ but also supposedly about security - ensure that any viet kieus on lists aren't allowed to enter.

At the same time, a country like Thailand won't likely go for any sort of visa given how open it is to tourists...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Pizzalover wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:53 am What happens to the 2 land-entries per year rule in Thailand?
That limit already doesn't apply to those who enter with a Thai visa, such as a tourist visa. It only applies to visa exempt entries. While anything could happen, I'd say if Thailand agrees to a common tourist visa, it's most likely that the rules for tourist visa holders will apply.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:14 pm "Vietnamese President Vo Van Thuong has suggested fostering seamless tourism collaboration among Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, eliminating the need for individual visas for travelers moving between these nations."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"In 2014, ASEAN explored the possibility of introducing a common or single visa to facilitate smoother travel within the region. Despite discussions, the initiative had not materialized fully, and the implementation of an ASEAN Single Visa remained under consideration."

Full article but few details (it's just a proposal that I doubt will go anywhere):

https://laotiantimes.com/2023/12/19/reg ... -cambodia/
That same old dream again.
Boredom is like a shroud
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MMMMM try try again:
another great idea from Thailand's PM ( really only a puppet for Anutin, remember him? Now deputy PM and the one that pushed thru the decimalization of weed.)..
Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has ordered the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to arrange travel insurance to cover accidents and death for all foreign tourists arriving in Thailand during the New Year holiday period.

The prime minister’s order, issued at the cabinet meeting on Tuesday, follows two incidents involving foreign tourists who died recently in Thailand..

It is reported that the Ministry of Tourism and Sports will seek about 50 million baht from the Central Fund to buy insurance coverage for tourists visiting Thailand over the New Year period.

The prime minister also instructed Tourism and Sports Minister Sudawan Wangsuphakijkosol to coordinate with Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam to promote regional tourism.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1314773-trav ... 1703051321
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic