US Homelessness Reaches All-Time High

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: US Homelessness Reaches All-Time High

Post by Kenr »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:10 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:56 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:58 am
The United States spent $766 billion on national defense during fiscal year (FY) 2022
As far as I know a large proportion of that, if not most, is used to pay veterans' pensions and medical care.
Average lifetime benefits bill for vets is $3 million ... I think there are about 19 million (was 24 mil in 2014) living veterans ... that's one big reason why they have not solved to suicide epidemic in veterans population ... they make money off it, sad as that is.
Pure conspiracy bullshit. And for the record, not all veterans use the VA and/or try to obtain disability benefits.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kenr wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:00 pm
The United States spent $766 billion on national defense during fiscal year (FY) 2022
As far as I know a large proportion of that, if not most, is used to pay veterans' pensions and medical care.
Average lifetime benefits bill for vets is $3 million ... I think there are about 19 million (was 24 mil in 2014) living veterans ... that's one big reason why they have not solved to suicide epidemic in veterans population ... they make money off it, sad as that is.
Pure conspiracy bullshit. And for the record, not all veterans use the VA and/or try to obtain disability benefits.
Well, I disagree. Spent a tour in Washington DC working with the House and Senate and with organizations such as VFW, Swords to Plowshares, Vietnam Veterans of America, Bobby Muller, Steve Robinson, David Hackworth and many other heavies of the day trying to get medical care for guys coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan and being denied medical care. They just passed the PACT Act which is huge move for the VA and those under their care. I think it's around 90% of vets who receive some VA benefits. But the VA is just like a large insurance provider ... same games, just different logos.

CORRECTION: Fast Facts. The Veterans Benefits Administration provided more than $112 billion in disability benefits to about 5.4 million veterans and their families in FY 2022.
Jul 26, 2023

So way less than 90% oops.
Last edited by Fridaywithmateo on Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Seems like a huge amount but it equates to $2200 per person and their family, which is a pittance
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:15 pm

Well, I disagree. Spent a tour in Washington DC working with the House and Senate and with organizations such as VFW, Swords to Plowshares, Vietnam Veterans of America, Bobby Muller, Steve Robinson, David Hackworth and many other heavies of the day trying to get medical care for guys coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan and being denied medical care. They just passed the PACT Act which is huge move for the VA and those under their care. I think it's around 90% of vets who receive some VA benefits. But the VA is just like a large insurance provider ... same games, just different logos.

CORRECTION: Fast Facts. The Veterans Benefits Administration provided more than $112 billion in disability benefits to about 5.4 million veterans and their families in FY 2022.
Jul 26, 2023

👍 Yeah you did.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kenr wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:29 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:15 pm

Jul 26, 2023

👍 Yeah you did.
But then again, that stat does not include stuff like GI Bill and home loans ... so for sure it's higher, just how high I do not know, but I will find out. I thought I recalled it being close to 90 back in 2005/6/7/8.

UPDATE:

NOV. 10, 2021 — A new report released today by the U.S. Census Bureau shows almost one-half of veterans (46.7%) received some sort of military service-related cash or noncash benefit in 2017. In that year, there were over 19.9 million veterans, which represented 6.2% of the overall population in the United States.

One big problem ... or what they call barriers to care is the way VA paperworks applicants and really makes things way more complicated and difficult ... it really can make a vet want nothing to do with the VA ... I include myself in the demographic ... but I hear they are getting better ... the PACT Act is a really big deal, so have to give props for that. I am sure they fought it all the way, but at least it's there.
Last edited by Fridaywithmateo on Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

violet wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:29 pm Seems like a huge amount but it equates to $2200 per person and their family, which is a pittance
Is it $2200 or should it be about $21,000? That in Aus dollars is a bit over $32,000 and as a comparison my Australian Vet Affairs pension is just over $10,000 a year which I received after being medically discharged.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Kahuna wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:41 pm
violet wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:29 pm Seems like a huge amount but it equates to $2200 per person and their family, which is a pittance
Is it $2200 or should it be about $21,000? That in Aus dollars is a bit over $32,000 and as a comparison my Australian Vet Affairs pension is just over $10,000 a year which I received after being medically discharged.
VA disability benefits and military pensions are two (2) different things in the US.
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

Kenr wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:48 pm
Kahuna wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:41 pm
VA disability benefits and military pensions are two (2) different things in the US.
Apologies as I should have highlighted that in my post as Australia also has different pensions for service members. The approx $10,000 per year from DVA I receive is my medical discharge pension along with the White Card.
I also get a military superannuation pension which I could access early due to being classified medically unfit for further service. That was also partially based on the extent of injuries but is processed under a different criteria and is not related to the DVA pension.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

...In this land, there was still pride to walk barefoot, sleep in a tent, fight the enemies although get no compensation for it, and get wasted once in a while with home-made drugs without social decay...
I wonder what went wrong ^^
Spoiler:
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

People who identify as Black make up just 13% of the US population, but comprised 37% of all people experiencing homelessness.

People who identify as black? Who, why or how would anyone other than a black person "identify as black"?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic