Big brother

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Big brother

Post by Yobbo »

I just read Jerry's post about the nuclear containership (didn't press the link) & low & behold there was a picture of the ship on my Facebook feed.
Toots highlighted that I am not anonymous & gave me a cryptic message to let me know a few months ago. Thanks Toots!
I am aware of the relation to browser searches etc but didn't realise it was this fu%ked up!
finn
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Big brother

Post by finn »

facebook correlates and shares the email associated with your account across google, etc
change the FB email and it will stop
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

I think sometimes we are too paranoid. I don’t doubt that there are connections but…
How many things that you’ve viewed on here or elsewhere didn’t subsequently appear on your Facebook page?

I’ve done it before, noticing something that I’ve just been talking about (Alexa - I’m looking at you..) which then appears as a targeted ad a few hours later. But I couldn’t list all the things I read/speak about which don’t appear.

Sometimes it is just coincidence. I think.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Yobbo wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:56 pm I just read Jerry's post about the nuclear containership (didn't press the link) & low & behold there was a picture of the ship on my Facebook feed.
Toots highlighted that I am not anonymous & gave me a cryptic message to let me know a few months ago. Thanks Toots!
I am aware of the relation to browser searches etc but didn't realise it was this fu%ked up!
This forum has Facebook Pixel installed so they know very well what sites and stuff you have been reading.

They also track you by your IP address etc.. That why sometimes you might notice that you talk about something with your friend face-to-face, and then you notice later that they have ad/post about that same exact thing what your friend was talking about even though you have not searched anything related to it. But most likely your friend did, and you guys shared same wifi so know they know you are connected and can show you advertisement related to your friends searches.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

khmerhamster wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:19 pm I think sometimes we are too paranoid. I don’t doubt that there are connections but…
How many things that you’ve viewed on here or elsewhere didn’t subsequently appear on your Facebook page?

I’ve done it before, noticing something that I’ve just been talking about (Alexa - I’m looking at you..) which then appears as a targeted ad a few hours later. But I couldn’t list all the things I read/speak about which don’t appear.

Everything electronic these days is collected and stored in Utah by some agency. I can't stand the whole Silicon Valley Big Tech monster ... real creeps in my book.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:19 pm I think sometimes we are too paranoid. I don’t doubt that there are connections but…

Everything electronic these days is collected and stored in Utah by some agency. I can't stand the whole Silicon Valley Big Tech monster ... real creeps in my book.
Hmmm The Mormons! :shock:
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Yobbo wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:28 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 pm

Hmmm The Mormons! :shock:
Edward Snowden has done a lot of online interviews talking about the massive data collection programs from USA ... they keep it all on file, so he says. I think it's a collab between Big Tech and the intelligence community ... all in the name of keeping us safe of course ... wink, wink ... safely buying crap online maybe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic