The worst bus you ever ride?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The worst bus you ever ride?

Post by prahkeitouj »

@MM,
Yes, It was not much. I think you had a bad experience but, better than you waste your time. :-)
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
redhooligan
Expatriate
Greece

Post by redhooligan »

Has to be with Peter Pan Bus lines, Boston to NY during a blizzard in 93/4. Imagine being stuck on the side of the highway in bumfart Connecticut for 4 hours on a public bus! That's in addition to the 4-5 scheduled hours of smelly hell. Not being able to get out at all. No restroom to speak of, unless you ventured out to the wrath of all inside trying to stay warm. Then the driver announces he must cut the engine because of low fuel. And the heating goes. And the 250kg couple start losing it, they need their pipe hit or something. The baby finally wakes up....and on and on. The (US) Chinatown deathvans at least don't stop, they arrive or go bust trying!

Asian backpacker minivans are paradise, compared to NA buses. You can puff up at stops, or even on the bus. :Yahoo!:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mrs S and I were travelling from HCMC to Halong Bay with a group of strangers, all middle-aged-ish, tourists AND viets. Once conversation started to flow it unfortunately turned to 'the historical event' and I commented that I felt a western education had lied to me about the war, it's catalyst, etc. One of the viet couples on the trip were getting increasingly agitated - turns out the guy had just been home to accept his aged father from a POW camp as the father was literally gasping his last, and the government wanted to at least show the mercy of letting the old boy die at a home he hadn't seen for decades. The conversation was a little strained after that.

On a selfish note, we were more than half way to Halong Bay before the guides announced our boat had sunk in the typhoon (that big one a few years back) the previous day, and so we were going to drive around looking at Halong City and stay in a 2 star hotel instead of cruising the Bay for 3 nights as long as no-one minded the change. When asked, they admitted to knowing the boat had sunk before we left Saigon, and that not telling us until after the halfway mark was to ensure we wouldn't want to turn back and demand a refund. They were genuinely surprised at the reaction they got from the unreasonable westerners.

(Edit: typo)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic