The Future of Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: The Future of Phnom Penh

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kenr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:27 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:24 pm
Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:14 pm I'm starting to think that Mateo is on something a lot stronger than Ganzberg. What is it though?
Last night was Tiger (2), Ganzberg (3) and a 300 ml nightcap of some crazy good home-brewed soju steeped with Hibiscus, papaya, mango, apple, pineapple, raisins, passion fruit, and dragon fruit. Just what the doctor ordered. Zzzzzzzz
Was that before, during, or after you pulled a parasite out of your eye?
It came out between Ganzberg #1 and #2
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:54 am
You gotta think like an American political person ...
Sure ^^ i'll give a try :
Bleach kills Covid, so bleach probably kills worms too ^^
Here you go, free advice from the very top.
C'mon now, bottom's up...
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Ghostwriter wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:35 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:54 am
You gotta think like an American political person ...
Sure ^^ i'll give a try :
Bleach kills Covid, so bleach probably kills worms too ^^
Here you go, free advice from the very top.
C'mon now, bottom's up...
My ex-wife from Quito Ecuador used to cure pink eye using jalapeño pepper compresses ... son-of-gun if it didn't work! Not sure about bleach for ocular parasite infection.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

This could have been an interesting thread on contemporary Phnom Penh. Now it's mired in AI, eye worms and US politics. I had low expectations but not low enough, it seems.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:29 pm This could have been an interesting thread on contemporary Phnom Penh. Now it's mired in AI, eye worms and US politics. I had low expectations but not low enough, it seems.
Can we help change those expectations by bringing up a few topics on sexpats and bars in st 136.
Spoiler:
Just trying to help.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:29 pm This could have been an interesting thread on contemporary Phnom Penh. Now it's mired in AI, eye worms and US politics. I had low expectations but not low enough, it seems.
Can we help change those expectations by bringing up a few topics on sexpats and bars in st 136.
Spoiler:
Just trying to help.
That will be in the Comic section.
Boredom is like a shroud
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:14 pm I'm starting to think that Mateo is on something a lot stronger than Ganzberg. What is it though?
This?

HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:24 am I have experienced the worst of the worst traffic and it blows ... LA, SF, DC, Honolulu, Houston, Sydney ... I feel like Phnom Penh is a very livable medium-sized city. But if they keep building and look past the traffic situation/solutions, I see it becoming very unlivable, just on traffic woes alone.
I think it has been proven that Jakarta and Bangkok have the worst traffic in the world (and I'd agree strongly, with Jakarta being slightly worse than Bangkok), and it takes massive time through multiple toll roads just to go a few km, so I think those cities relative to traffic in Southeast Asia (or even a city like São Paulo which has horrendously awful traffic) are lightweight in comparison.
Earl of Mercia wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:36 pm Unfortunately this is the future of Phnom Penh another faceless Asian mega-city like Bangkok,Manila,Jakarta,Shanghai,Beijing,Kuala Lumpur etc.
Are any of these cities truly faceless though? Jakarta is filthy and chaotic but has a lot of charm (as would most of . Manila is actually not just Makati and is way more than Quezon City.
The whole charm of the Pig Penh is its low rise colonial buildings,with wide open boulevards and (some) green spaces it will be lost forever?
Not to worry, as that description still fits virtually all provincial capitals!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:25 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:24 am I have experienced the worst of the worst traffic and it blows ... LA, SF, DC, Honolulu, Houston, Sydney ... I feel like Phnom Penh is a very livable medium-sized city. But if they keep building and look past the traffic situation/solutions, I see it becoming very unlivable, just on traffic woes alone.
I think it has been proven that Jakarta and Bangkok have the worst traffic in the world (and I'd agree strongly, with Jakarta being slightly worse than Bangkok), and it takes massive time through multiple toll roads just to go a few km, so I think those cities relative to traffic in Southeast Asia (or even a city like São Paulo which has horrendously awful traffic) are lightweight in comparison.
Earl of Mercia wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:36 pm Unfortunately this is the future of Phnom Penh another faceless Asian mega-city like Bangkok,Manila,Jakarta,Shanghai,Beijing,Kuala Lumpur etc.
Are any of these cities truly faceless though? Jakarta is filthy and chaotic but has a lot of charm (as would most of . Manila is actually not just Makati and is way more than Quezon City.
The whole charm of the Pig Penh is its low rise colonial buildings,with wide open boulevards and (some) green spaces it will be lost forever?
Not to worry, as that description still fits virtually all provincial capitals!
Never been to Jakarta ... but BKK is awful too
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

(deleted)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic