Laos is spiraling toward a debt crisis as China looms large

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Laos is spiraling toward a debt crisis as China looms large

Post by Doc67 »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:33 am The drive up through the north of Cambodia & into Laos, aiming for Pakse is tremendous though, if you wanted to do it on a bit of a budget.
:D I won't even get on a bus to Siem Reap. I like 1-2 hour direct flights, preferably leaving and returning between 9am to 12pm. And costing >$150, all in.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I've driven once from Thailand thru Laos ( Luang Namtha, LP< VV, Phonsavan, Vientiane, Pakse, 4,000 island into Cambodia, Great trip
usually thou would exit at Vientiane back to thailand and head to surin and enter at Osmach
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RightSaidFred
Expatriate
Cuba

Post by RightSaidFred »

I think Cambodia is heading for bankrupcy in the next 5 years. The property market is bound to collapse with so many vacant units, there is no serious manufacturing or industry in the country (garments are slowly moving to cheaper markets), too many loans have been taken from China to build freeways (paid haha), airports, metros, etc., tourists are not very tempted to come here because of the USD and less attractions than neighbours like Thailand, Vietnam.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:33 am The drive up through the north of Cambodia & into Laos, aiming for Pakse is tremendous though, if you wanted to do it on a bit of a budget.
Seeing more of Southern Laos is also on my list, but that will have to wait until I retire, I'd really need more time to do that properly. A few nights in Vientiane sipping Beer Lao, on the other hand, are easy to squeeze in.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

It's a while since I was in Laos but I took the Kampong Cham - Kratie - Pakse - Savannakhet route, stopping for a few days in each place. Laos has a great laid back vibe.

I have always embraced slow travel, and avoid airports as much as possible. Some bus routes can be rough and certainly take a lot more time but road travel is the way to see a country if you can afford it.

Obviously it doesn't work for weekend getaways.

I'd like to see Vientiane again but from what I'm told it has changed beyond recognition. But where hasn't ?

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

RightSaidFred wrote:I think Cambodia is heading for bankrupcy in the next 5 years. The property market is bound to collapse with so many vacant units, there is no serious manufacturing or industry in the country (garments are slowly moving to cheaper markets), too many loans have been taken from China to build freeways (paid haha), airports, metros, etc., tourists are not very tempted to come here because of the USD and less attractions than neighbours like Thailand, Vietnam.
That’s the point of the Belt and Road Initiative. Bankrupt country, then take over colonization. China city now, China special economic zone named Cambodia, later. Plus the they need living space and people to serve all their retirees. It’s a win-win.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:42 pm
RightSaidFred wrote:I think Cambodia is heading for bankrupcy in the next 5 years. The property market is bound to collapse with so many vacant units, there is no serious manufacturing or industry in the country (garments are slowly moving to cheaper markets), too many loans have been taken from China to build freeways (paid haha), airports, metros, etc., tourists are not very tempted to come here because of the USD and less attractions than neighbours like Thailand, Vietnam.
That’s the point of the Belt and Road Initiative. Bankrupt country, then take over colonization. China city now, China special economic zone named Cambodia, later. Plus the they need living space and people to serve all their retirees. It’s a win-win.
Another paranoid opinion without any data to back it up. The Chinese invasion you predicted hasn't happened, the economy is in good shape, so far. Some basket case countries might have borrowed more than they can afford but despite your dismal opinions this isn't one of them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Looks like there has not been much progress

World Bank Recommends Fiscal Reforms to Address Laos’ Economic Challenge

https://laotiantimes.com/2023/12/08/wor ... challenge/
The World Bank urged Laos to take immediate steps to stabilize the national economy. With public debt exceeding 100 percent of GDP and a decline in revenue collection, the country confronts economic instability affecting vital sectors.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The proposed policies include enhancing tax collection, reforming the management of state-owned enterprises and public-private partnerships, targeting public spending more efficiently, and addressing the challenge of high public debt. These measures aim to increase government revenue, improve fiscal system equity, and ensure public funds are directed towards critical development areas.

The World Bank also stressed the importance of collaboration with Lao government institutions, specifically the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Planning and Investment.
As for travelling to Laos, it mostly suits those who are into slow travel, eco-tourism, adventure tourism, bike trips, chilling on the Mekong river, etc., so what Spigzy suggests above is the really the best way to do it if you're in Cambodia: overland to Stung Treng, cross the border and head to Nakasong in Laos, from where you can take a longtail boat to Si Phan Don (4000 Islands), either Don Det or Don Khong. After that, there's Champassak village and Wat Phu, a Khmer complex ruins on the side of a mountain, then Pakse town, which can be used as a base for bike trips around the Bolaven Plateau/Plain of Jars. From there, you have the option of continuing overland/fly to Vientiane, which is hardly worth it, or maybe a domestic flight up to Luang Pabang, heading into Ubon Ratchatani, Thailand, or returning the way you came.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic