The New International Airport Construction in Siem Reap

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The New International Airport Construction in Siem Reap

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:45 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:07 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:53 am
How does SAI get direct flights to Da Nang? How much demand is there for that route? What is even stranger is the price. If you want to go next week it will set you back $466, and if you want to book in January it is even more at $510. What is that all about?
This 777 world tour flight obviously gave them ideas. The recent articles contain suggestions of flights to SAI from other "tourist centers", e.g. Denpasar, Da Nang, Cebu.
As for pricing, this is the way - if you haven't got enough customers and you're losing money, simply increase the price until you're in profit. To be fair, that can work on occasions and is a recognised economic phenomenon.
There used to be a Cebu Pacific flight to from SR to Cebu. A pain in the ass to go from PP to SR for the connection but much better than going via Manilla.

If I lived in Bangkok I could go to so many places directly. PP is such a backwater in this regard.
Are you sure? Cebu Pacific used to fly the only Philippines to Cambodia route (at the time). It was Manila to Siem Reap. I flew it several times. Middle class Filipinos used it to see Angkor Wat and buy crocodile handbags.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:54 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:45 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:07 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:53 am
How does SAI get direct flights to Da Nang? How much demand is there for that route? What is even stranger is the price. If you want to go next week it will set you back $466, and if you want to book in January it is even more at $510. What is that all about?
This 777 world tour flight obviously gave them ideas. The recent articles contain suggestions of flights to SAI from other "tourist centers", e.g. Denpasar, Da Nang, Cebu.
As for pricing, this is the way - if you haven't got enough customers and you're losing money, simply increase the price until you're in profit. To be fair, that can work on occasions and is a recognised economic phenomenon.
There used to be a Cebu Pacific flight to from SR to Cebu. A pain in the ass to go from PP to SR for the connection but much better than going via Manilla.

If I lived in Bangkok I could go to so many places directly. PP is such a backwater in this regard.
Are you sure? Cebu Pacific used to fly the only Philippines to Cambodia route (at the time). It was Manila to Siem Reap. I flew it several times. Middle class Filipinos used it to see Angkor Wat and buy crocodile handbags.
It was the first time I went to Boracay, in 2019, and I remember it was a nightmare journey. I can't believe I went from PP-SR-MNL-CEB, especially if there was a direct PP-MNL. When did the PP-MNL route open up?

I know I went to Cebu for a few days before Boracay. I would have to check my old passport, for arrival stamps, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I did a lot of daft things back then.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Interesting thoughts on tourism in Cambodia and specifically the new airport, https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501402448/ ... -insiders/

Dodge identified two key measures that could make a big difference to tourism in Cambodia. “A strong, comprehensive destination marketing campaign highlighting the unique, immersive experiences available from Angkor Wat and beyond. Travellers need to see all the great experiences during their planning stage, not just when they arrive. If travellers think there is only Angkor Wat, they will plan accordingly, with only two or three days, or even bypass them altogether and choose a destination where they see many things to do. This is marketing, not just creating new things without marketing,” he said.

Secondly, the operators of the new airport need to do more outreach to overseas airlines to make them aware of the new airport code and ask them to update their published fares. Many have not yet published fares to SAI, which means anyone shopping for flights online either won’t find many fares, or they find only the full IATA fares, which are very high. “I looked at fares to various cities around the US and found they were three to five times higher than to REP, pre-pandemic. High fares suppress demand,” he added.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic