Riverside - October 2023

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Riverside - October 2023

Post by hanno »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:06 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:16 pm
cabron wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 pm I walked through Wot Botum park, and along the prom passed the palace to street 148. They may have cleared up most of the rubbish, but they need to do some serious cleaning of the pavements, they are caked in filth. A few days and a few teams with pressure washers and it'll be shining in no time.

I seriously hope the won't just let rain clean it in 6 months time.
Khmers do not have any concerns about pollution, in fact the youngsters are worts than the previous generations. Cambodia is a fourth world country, and it is not about to change.
More doom and gloom thrown on the Water Festival. What a bunch of curmudgeons there are on here. I thought it was a fine festival. Anyone complaining about garbage obviously hasn't been here to notice improvements.
I have been positive about it, save for the fireworks, which I thought were a bit dull. Otherwise, 5 stars all round.

I was simply suggesting that a few days with a few cleaning teams are required to return the the park and Sisowath quay (aka "the prom") to a clean condition. Detergent and pressure washers will do a decent enough job. There are areas that are black with filth, and it will not clean itself.

Let's see if the competent authorities notice it and fix it. Or of they just ignore it as they won't be walking on it anytime soon.
Saw parts of it get cleaned last night.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:27 am
cabron wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 pm I walked through Wot Botum park, and along the prom passed the palace to street 148. They may have cleared up most of the rubbish, but they need to do some serious cleaning of the pavements, they are caked in filth. A few days and a few teams with pressure washers and it'll be shining in no time.

I seriously hope the won't just let rain clean it in 6 months time.
Khmers do not have any concerns about pollution, in fact the youngsters are worts than the previous generations. Cambodia is a fourth world country, and it is not about to change.
More doom and gloom thrown on the Water Festival. What a bunch of curmudgeons there are on here. I thought it was a fine festival. Anyone complaining about garbage obviously hasn't been here to notice improvements.
I have been positive about it, save for the fireworks, which I thought were a bit dull. Otherwise, 5 stars all round.

I was simply suggesting that a few days with a few cleaning teams are required to return the the park and Sisowath quay (aka "the prom") to a clean condition. Detergent and pressure washers will do a decent enough job. There are areas that are black with filth, and it will not clean itself.

Let's see if the competent authorities notice it and fix it. Or of they just ignore it as they won't be walking on it anytime soon.
Very glad to hear it. Those tiles should come up quite nicely. I'll be walking through Botum park in a while, looking forward to seeing their progress.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Phnom Krom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:31 pm
ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am Why wouldn't posters share their opinions on the fireworks, ken? Are you one of those toxic positivity types who force those around you to pretend to be happy about everything all the time?

Anyway, my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?
FWIW...13 years ago over 500 people died in a electro stampede on Day 2 of WF. Since then basically no WF except for 2 small ones in 2018/19.

So, this was the first biggie in 13 years and still smaller than 09/10....hence security to prevent the total f.up of 2010.
How do guns help with crowd control? If a crush develops do they fire into the crowd? Into the air? I doubt that would be helpful.

If they were genuinely concerned about terrorism you'd expect to see concrete barriers everywhere to prevent someone from driving into the crowds. The armed police were either security theater, a tourist attraction or serving a purpose that isn't immediately obvious.
Scarier than malaria.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:34 am
hanno wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:27 am
cabron wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm Khmers do not have any concerns about pollution, in fact the youngsters are worts than the previous generations. Cambodia is a fourth world country, and it is not about to change.

Very glad to hear it. Those tiles should come up quite nicely. I'll be walking through Botum park in a while, looking forward to seeing their progress.
Pressure hoses operating now opposite Bgari/Metro area. The Herbalife chairs also cleaned up (and Herbalife motifs painted over).
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

ali baba wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:13 am
Phnom Krom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:31 pm
ali baba wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am Why wouldn't posters share their opinions on the fireworks, ken? Are you one of those toxic positivity types who force those around you to pretend to be happy about everything all the time?

Anyway, my question is why were there so many heavily armed police marching up and down the streets? Is there a terrorist threat that I'm unaware of?
FWIW...13 years ago over 500 people died in a electro stampede on Day 2 of WF. Since then basically no WF except for 2 small ones in 2018/19.

So, this was the first biggie in 13 years and still smaller than 09/10....hence security to prevent the total f.up of 2010.
How do guns help with crowd control? If a crush develops do they fire into the crowd? Into the air? I doubt that would be helpful.

If they were genuinely concerned about terrorism you'd expect to see concrete barriers everywhere to prevent someone from driving into the crowds. The armed police were either security theater, a tourist attraction or serving a purpose that isn't immediately obvious.
These armed officers are out every night at the roundabout at street 41 and 274, and I’m sure they are at other areas. It’s nothing unusual.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:31 am
Pressure hoses operating now opposite Bgari/Metro area. The Herbalife chairs also cleaned up (and Herbalife motifs painted over).
All back to normal now on riverside.Some benches have been repainted with the new Herbalife logo on them. The Prudential ones are just fading into obscurity with some of those benches falling over. There is a green wheelie bib every 10m so there should be no rubbish problems.
The big Pepsi billboard opposite the Amanjaya has been replaced with a Sting promotion.
The lurid green monster of questionable taste grinds on regardless. It gets turned off about 1030pm so if you want to enjoy the soft lights from across the river flickering in the reflection of the water, go then.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic