1st Floor unfurnished end townhouse

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 1st Floor unfurnished end townhouse

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:10 pm
Earl of Mercia wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:54 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:02 pm It's just as well there's no aircon if electric costs 1500 per unit.
How much should it be may I ask?

I never really take any notice of this stuff although I should,I just rely on the landlord being reasonably honest.
If you use a lot of electricity it should be less than half that (730R) per kwh. If you use less it goes down, minimum ~500R
My guess is the monthly use of electricity for this place, without AC, is around 100 KWh per month. That means the real price is just over 500r per KWh. The owner pockets around 100k riels every month .
On the other hand: the rent seems very reasonable and if the landlord is a good one that's worth something as well. Finding a landlord who lets you pay directly to EdC will be hard.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:18 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:02 pm It's just as well there's no aircon if electric costs 1500 per unit.

I never really take any notice of this stuff although I should,I just rely on the landlord being reasonably honest.
If you use a lot of electricity it should be less than half that (730R) per kwh. If you use less it goes down, minimum ~500R
My guess is the monthly use of electricity for this place, without AC, is around 100 KWh per month. That means the real price is just over 500r per KWh. The owner pockets around 100k riels every month .
On the other hand: the rent seems very reasonable and if the landlord is a good one that's worth something as well. Finding a landlord who lets you pay directly to EdC will be hard.
Finding a western tenant for a place with no AC will be hard too, and with such a prohibitive energy price should they install AC, will preclude most Westerners.

March to May this year were the hottest in my 6 years and a thoroughly miserable experience. Few bars and restaurants could cope this year, so the only escape was spending more time at home, and my bill reflected this dramatically. I ain't doing it next year.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:55 am

Finding a western tenant for a place with no AC will be hard too, and with such a prohibitive energy price should they install AC, will preclude most Westerners.

March to May this year were the hottest in my 6 years and a thoroughly miserable experience. Few bars and restaurants could cope this year, so the only escape was spending more time at home, and my bill reflected this dramatically. I ain't doing it next year.
If the windows are all on one side that's not brilliant if there is no air conditioning. One of the things I like about my place is that there are balcony doors at the front and on both sides towards the back. Coupled with being a couple of floors higher than the surrounding buildings, this means I can almost always have a breeze through the place.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Yes, running AC's with these prices will be an expensive hobby.
I don't know this apartment, but some places run hotter than others. If the walls are thick enough, the windows face north, the colour of the walls reflect a lot of sun and there's one more floor on top (instead of a flat roof) it might bearable without AC?
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:13 am

If the windows are all on one side that's not brilliant if there is no air conditioning. One of the things I like about my place is that there are balcony doors at the front and on both sides towards the back. Coupled with being a couple of floors higher than the surrounding buildings, this means I can almost always have a breeze through the place.
I am hoping and praying that you have mosquito screens?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Earl of Mercia wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:17 pm
Bluenose wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:13 am

I am hoping and praying that you have mosquito screens?
At night for maybe 7 hours the AC in the bedroom is on with windows closed, but during the day there is no need for AC at all and no problem with mozzies. One window in the front and in each of the bedrooms has a screen.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:18 am On the other hand: the rent seems very reasonable and if the landlord is a good one that's worth something as well. Finding a landlord who lets you pay directly to EdC will be hard.
Mine does. I get the blue sheets every month slipped under the door. If the payment is by ABA and you have saved the EDC bank account as a favorite, the amount is already preset - no clue how they manage to do that, but the only thing that I need to press is confirm
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ressl wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:48 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:18 am On the other hand: the rent seems very reasonable and if the landlord is a good one that's worth something as well. Finding a landlord who lets you pay directly to EdC will be hard.
Mine does. I get the blue sheets every month slipped under the door. If the payment is by ABA and you have saved the EDC bank account as a favorite, the amount is already preset - no clue how they manage to do that, but the only thing that I need to press is confirm
So do I, they match you customer number with your bank account number. Paying EdC is a breeze now with app (ACLEDA in my case). It used to involve a trip to their office but those days have gone now.

I don't rent though, but have my own place. Here in the sticks I used to rent (before) but here it used to be common the tenant paid directly to EdC. Not sure what it's like now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic