Songkran set to ‘go global’

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Songkran set to ‘go global’

Post by phuketrichard »

Thailand will try anything to make $$$$$
my 1st songkran was in Chiang Mai and was a fantastic time, Since then i avoid it all costs> its just gotten out of hand with dirty klong water, high power water guns, ice being thrown and powder.

BANGKOK: Thailand will transform Songkran into a month-long global water festival next year to boost its “soft power” and attract international tourists.
Let's make the Songkran festival the event that everyone has to fly to Thailand to attend. Let's make Thailand [home of] one of the top 10 global festivals," Ms Paetongtar­n said. "Starting from next year, the Songkran festival will not be the same.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/songkran- ... -90473.php
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Songkran set to ‘go global’

Post by pissontheroof »

Thailand 🇹🇭 is so “ old days “ for me ….
Me also first songran chiangmai ( old days )
I would have to check my passport for whatever year it was .
Stayed for 10 years and each one after the 1st was. less and less fun
Last time went to thailand for 30 days and was happy to get out after 3 weeks
Terrible place nowadays .. the ( good ) king died long ago.

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

For me, Songkran is still something I look forward to each and every year. Carefree and excessive partying is just quintessentially Thai, and seeing old sad wankers in Pattaya moan about the festivities year after year just makes them even sweeter to me. Where I live, it's quite a bit shorter than there, but still, reading their inane complaints for a full week is just part of my Songkran routine.

If anything, it seems to be even wilder in Cambodia nowadays, so I hope to be there for Khmer New Year some time, too.
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

I have celebrated in Chiang Mai, Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya. All had good and bad points. Last year I was in a small town in Issan and it was excellent. The water throwing didn't start until 3pm so everyone had the chance to work and get home if they wished. It also finished at a decent hour. Old white people in Chiang Mai complaining about Songkran can do one. It's like moving to Notting Hill and complaining about the carnival. :please:
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I say the hell with these countries that celebrate their holidays but don't take into consideration to how the visitor's think it should be done!!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic