Who killed JFK?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Who killed JFK?

Post by newkidontheblock »

I personally thank you for your service.

Vietnam was the first war run by technocrats. All top military brass were selected for their business degrees, not battlefield experience. Numbers and data and crunching them was the US focus during the war.

For example, the first generation of M-16s sent to Vietnam did not have chrome lined barrels in order to save money. Despite Stoner’s (creator of the M-16) original design specifications. Many failed and the rifle received a bad reputation. Same with restricting troops to fire only between the designed sticks. The math wizards said so and pushed down to battlefield rules of engagement.

There are many veterans who wanted to finish the job and save South Vietnam but were ordered to withdraw.

Since Vietnam, there have been many fundamental changes to the military. Battlefield experience is the top criteria to promotion. Continuous training is emphasized. And US military performance reflects the change.

Just my opinions of course.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:50 am There are many veterans who wanted to finish the job and save South Vietnam but were ordered to withdraw.
The hubris being the underlying assumption that "South Vietnam" was worthy of being saved, needed and wanted to be saved. By Americans of all people, after the French meddling was ended.

American soldiers had no business there whatsoever.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:50 am I personally thank you for your service.

Vietnam was the first war run by technocrats. All top military brass were selected for their business degrees, not battlefield experience. Numbers and data and crunching them was the US focus during the war.

Just my opinions of course.
Personally i dont thank anyone who went in fought in a war 10,000 miles from home, when it did not affect them>

Just think of those 50,000 Americans that lost there lives there? For what>
better they had did what i did an refused to go and fight in a unjust conflict
cant have a war if everyone refuses to fight ( yea a bit simplistic but.....)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:37 am
Just think of those 50,000 Americans that lost there lives there? For what>
better they had did what i did an refused to go and fight in a unjust conflict
cant have a war if everyone refuses to fight ( yea a bit simplistic but.....)
One of my best friends here is a Vietnam veteran. He tried every way to avoid going but did eventually. He hated it, couldn't understand what the hell they were doing 10,000 miles away, and it had a majorly detrimental affect on his life.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic