Riverside - October 2023

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Riverside - October 2023

Post by John Bingham »

cabron wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 pm I walked through Wot Botum park, and along the prom passed the palace to street 148. They may have cleared up most of the rubbish, but they need to do some serious cleaning of the pavements, they are caked in filth. A few days and a few teams with pressure washers and it'll be shining in no time.

I seriously hope the won't just let rain clean it in 6 months time.
Khmers do not have any concerns about pollution, in fact the youngsters are worts than the previous generations. Cambodia is a fourth world country, and it is not about to change.
More doom and gloom thrown on the Water Festival. What a bunch of curmudgeons there are on here. I thought it was a fine festival. Anyone complaining about garbage obviously hasn't been here to notice improvements.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:49 pm I walked through Wot Botum park, and along the prom passed the palace to street 148. They may have cleared up most of the rubbish, but they need to do some serious cleaning of the pavements, they are caked in filth. A few days and a few teams with pressure washers and it'll be shining in no time.

Khmers do not have any concerns about pollution, in fact the youngsters are worts than the previous generations. Cambodia is a fourth world country, and it is not about to change.
I don’t know what youngsters you have been hanging out with but it’s definitely not my experience that youngsters in Cambodia have no concerns about pollution. Quite the opposite. Many feel very passionate about stopping it.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

The garbage does bother me, but:

1. It has improved a lot from a few years ago, when some streets in Phnom Penh were virtual garbage dumps.
2. I saw plenty of people that made an effort to drop their garbage in bins (admittedly, I also saw people standing right next to bins an dropping their shit on the floor).
3. There is no garbage collection in many areas; no need to go far to see that, Areyk Sart will do.
4. It is not that long ago that places like Greece, France, or Spain had a huge garbage problem.

I saw this yesterday, first time in 11 months of wandering the river side. It appears to be for fishing garbage out of the water but, from what I saw, it is just used to shuttle already filled garbage bags.

The garbage in the water is really a problem. I have gone birding in both the Red River and Mekong deltas and there are actual islands made up of garbage.

cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

violet wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:40 pm

I don’t know what youngsters you have been hanging out with but it’s definitely not my experience that youngsters in Cambodia have no concerns about pollution. Quite the opposite. Many feel very passionate about stopping it.
No ma'am, I do not hang out with youngsters, just reporting what my eyes are seeing.
Boredom is like a shroud
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:35 pm Btw, who won?
Which province's boat?
Which province is HM from?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

cabron wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:44 pm

No ma'am, I do not hang out with youngsters, just reporting what my eyes are seeing.
So how do you get your info about the youngsters? TikTok?
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:57 pm
cabron wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:44 pm

So how do you get your info about the youngsters? TikTok?
No, just go outside and walk around schools like on St. 184, 19, 144, 154.
Boredom is like a shroud
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Was talking about pollution with a class of 7th graders today and a fair few said they didnt care, i was a bit shocked.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Soriya wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:57 pm

Was talking about pollution with a class of 7th graders today and a fair few said they didnt care, i was a bit shocked.
Definitely not my experience from conversations - I was shocked at how strongly they spoke out against people polluting.

Of course there will be a fair few who don’t care. There’s a fair few in home countries who don’t care either

Anyway, we can avoid a sweeping statement that Cambodian youngsters don’t care - many do
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:16 pm

More doom and gloom thrown on the Water Festival. What a bunch of curmudgeons there are on here. I thought it was a fine festival. Anyone complaining about garbage obviously hasn't been here to notice improvements.
I have been positive about it, save for the fireworks, which I thought were a bit dull. Otherwise, 5 stars all round.

I was simply suggesting that a few days with a few cleaning teams are required to return the the park and Sisowath quay (aka "the prom") to a clean condition. Detergent and pressure washers will do a decent enough job. There are areas that are black with filth, and it will not clean itself.

Let's see if the competent authorities notice it and fix it. Or of they just ignore it as they won't be walking on it anytime soon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic