$$$ SELLING CONDO CHEAP QUICK SALE $$$

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: $$$ SELLING CONDO CHEAP QUICK SALE $$$

Post by Kammekor »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:19 am
Kammekor wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:19 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:06 pm

Tax for rentals is 14% for foreigners and 10% for locals. Capital gains tax (20%) you pay if you sell your unit and get profit from it.
I looked it up, and you're right, 10% is what I was quoted by an accountant last Sept.
Are there any other worthwhile investments here an old guy can do for a minor motherless child ?
Now I got a fixed deposit in a joint named account for the little bugger but cambrodian rules say
cambrodians don’t have any rights to that kind of jazz until the age of 14 .
I tried to make him an appointment to join M’lop tapang when I die since he was born in sihanoukville
But they won’t do it and shirley they would give him back to his mom which would be terrible.

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Good question and probably worth its' own thread. This is indeed a problem, saving in a child's name. I haven't figured it out yet, other than opening a child's savings account back in the West which barely offers interest and buying some stocks, but those are in my name.

Also have some savings for the kid in Cambodia, but also in my name. I have not been able to open a savings account in my child's name, just like you.

Prudential offers 'kid's saving schemes', but for that you need to deposit a fixed, monthly, amount for over a decade and it's attached to some life insurance for the kid which drains the capital growth significantly. So I passed on that one.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Element6 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:41 am I own a few properties and I struggle to see 10% p.a. return as real estate prices here are high compared to the spending power of most of the market.

A quick look on khmer24 rentals will show you a general trend of around 5% gross return which is very low compared to some other markets.

Perhaps my experience is distorted by largely owning landed properties rather than condos and apartments but even looking at condo rentals returns seem about the same.

In fact many landed properties do much worse. It is easy to find $2M -$3M properties renting for $5k to $10k. The flip side of this is capital gains on landed property have traditionally been much higher.

This is not to say 10% to 15% is not achievable but I don't think it is the norm

Something I was told by a realestate agent friend way back in my early days, [ late 1960 s ] when I told him I wanted to put some money into property,, his advice was. Amateurs invest in residential property,, Professionals invest in Commercial property.
Something I have always remembered and tried to follow by owning 3 farms and a motel, and one present building, all of which give you free accommodation, and income and tax write-offs, unlike residential property which which you have to choose between occupying it yourself or renting it.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Element6 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:41 am I own a few properties and I struggle to see 10% p.a. return as real estate prices here are high compared to the spending power of most of the market.

A quick look on khmer24 rentals will show you a general trend of around 5% gross return which is very low compared to some other markets.

Perhaps my experience is distorted by largely owning landed properties rather than condos and apartments but even looking at condo rentals returns seem about the same.

In fact many landed properties do much worse. It is easy to find $2M -$3M properties renting for $5k to $10k. The flip side of this is capital gains on landed property have traditionally been much higher.

This is not to say 10% to 15% is not achievable but I don't think it is the norm
Yep landed properties suck. I own one and getting even 5% is struggle. Not enough foreigners want to live in those and there is real over supply. Only condos give good ROI now days. And it has to be in good location. Old apartments in city center used to give best ROIs back in the days. Even as high as 20% was possible. Now less foreigners want to live in those, unless you have one on Riverside with river views.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:22 am

Yes exactly. Unless you are a genius like RogerR who can spot the 0.00001% of condos that produce a decent yield, don't buy a condo to rent out. Be very careful buying a condo to live in because of the incidental charges and costs and the massive oversupply.
Also now is not a great time to buy anything but if you buy a nice piece of land at a reasonable price then sooner or later it will come good. Only problem is you have to use a nominee to buy it.
Why it's not good time to buy? You keep saying that but not giving any reason. As someone already said earlier in this thread, this is the first time there are real re-sale deals to be made in Cambodia.
RightSaidFred
Expatriate
Cuba

Post by RightSaidFred »

I'm no expert but a lot of Phnom Penh will be a ghost town like so many Chinese cities. Too much greed to make money without evaluating if there is demand.
Also why buy in Cambodia when you can buy at a cheaper price in Malaysia, or even Dubai. They're established markets.
I hear some real estate agents make up to 15% commission. No wonder they're pushing so hard.
I would definitely not buy here.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:06 pm

Yes exactly. Unless you are a genius like RogerR who can spot the 0.00001% of condos that produce a decent yield, don't buy a condo to rent out. Be very careful buying a condo to live in because of the incidental charges and costs and the massive oversupply.
Also now is not a great time to buy anything but if you buy a nice piece of land at a reasonable price then sooner or later it will come good. Only problem is you have to use a nominee to buy it.
Why it's not good time to buy? You keep saying that but not giving any reason. As someone already said earlier in this thread, this is the first time there are real re-sale deals to be made in Cambodia.
Why it's not good time to buy? Not me, I have never said that. In-fact if you want to have a property to sell in 10 or 20 years time , then now is the best time to buy. But the most important thing is Location, Location, Location, and what you buy , not when or how much you pay.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:06 pm

May I respectfully refer you to that KT article I posted? Anything retail is worth avoiding, i.e. borey houses and condos direct from the devloper or buidling plots carved out from a big piece of land that is now being sold in small parcels. As I said, a decent piece of quality land will come good at some stage. But the problem now is getting sellers to recognise the new reality, prices-wise. I believe things will get a lot tougher yet, so no harm in waiting.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

So absolutely the highest risk with the very real possibility of losing everything including your shirt?

Interesting,I’d stick to law if I were you as investing definitely isn’t your forte!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic