South Koreans Nabbed in Siem Reap Over VoIP Scam

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

South Koreans Nabbed in Siem Reap Over VoIP Scam

Post by MekongMouse »

Seven South Korean nationals were arrested in Siem Reap province Monday on suspicion of attempting to extort money from foreigners through Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP, after a further six were detained for allegedly committing the same crime last month, an immigration official said Tuesday.

Kao Maovirak, provincial immigration police chief, said the most recent arrests of six men and one woman came after four days of covert surveillance by his officials in Siem Reap City’s Svay Dangkum commune.

“Now we are questioning them one by one; we have just finished questioning five Korean men and we will finish [Wednesday] and they will then be sent to the provincial court,” said Mr. Maovirak, adding that the group’s computers had also been seized.

On February 22, six South Korean men were arrested in the same commune on suspicion of using VoIP and illegal gambling websites to con unsuspecting customers, said Mr. Maovirak at the time.

A further seven South Korean men were arrested last year for VoIP-related crimes.
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/sout ... cam-79051/

Does anyone know what these VoIP scams work? I've never heard of them before.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: South Koreans Nabbed in Siem Reap Over VoIP Scam

Post by General Mackevili »

I remember reading about Chinese nationals doing that here before.

I think they would call people back in China and tell them they need to pay parking tickets.

Once, to prove a point about old people my, um, friend, said he thought it would be super easy to get people to give their credit card info over the phone.

Took 2 calls to random numbers in order to get a random person to verify their credit card billing info because their account was flagged for "fraudulent charges," LoL.

Again, it was just to prove a point to some friends. :facepalm:

I was probably just out of high school.

This reminds me:

On my last visit back to the States I pranked an incoming telemarketer trying to sell home security.

I basically acted like an old senile person and they were lying left and right to get my billing info. Even with my mom acting like a concerned relative trying to get me off the phone!

If I can find the recording and edit out my personal info I'll post it here. I should probably report the fucker to the company, BBB... It was a trip!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic