Moving Blues

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Moving Blues

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

SITUATION:

My new Khmer wife and I just signed a 6-month contract at a service apartment. Our current apartment is about to do final inspection and we really want to get back the full security deposit.

On our sofa, had a small hole (3cm x 3cm). My wife repaired it. In my mind, it is a reasonable repair as "normal wear & tear" ... the sofa is at least 5 years old.

We had an idea to take it with us and just buy a new one, but we were quoted $900 usd, delivered.

What should we do?

Thanks in advance.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Moving Blues

Post by Darkcel »

You're getting scammed lmao

Shouldn't be more than 50 bucks to pay two guys with a trailer to haul it for you

How'd you get married without owning a property? I'm assuming you can't meet income requirements.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:44 pm You're getting scammed lmao

Shouldn't be more than 50 bucks to pay two guys with a trailer to haul it for you

How'd you get married without owning a property? I'm assuming you can't meet income requirements.
I think he means $900 for a new sofa to replace the damaged one which he will take with him.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:27 pm SITUATION:

My new Khmer wife and I just signed a 6-month contract at a service apartment. Our current apartment is about to do final inspection and we really want to get back the full security deposit.

On our sofa, had a small hole (3cm x 3cm). My wife repaired it. In my mind, it is a reasonable repair as "normal wear & tear" ... the sofa is at least 5 years old.

We had an idea to take it with us and just buy a new one, but we were quoted $900 usd, delivered.

What should we do?

Thanks in advance.
Is this even a problem yet? Has the landlord seen it yet and complained?

Show us a photo of the repair, we'll soon tell you if it's "reasonable" and "normal wear and tear" :D
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Did you have a photo of the holy couch when you moved in? Is it a cushion? Can it be re-covered?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

What you should do is go into full panic mode.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

You could always get your wife to sit on the hole that's in the sofa when the landlord comes in. I'm sure they would be to embarrassed to ask her to get up cause we want to see the hole your sitting on.
Alt, cover the hole with something like a book or dirty napkin.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

At the repair shop now … wish me luck … $10 for stitches. I think all is well that ends well. Next challenge is doing some cosmetic work on two burn marks on the book shelf. Gots ‘t quit smokin’ … cuttin’ into to my beer drinkin’ money.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:08 pm
Darkcel wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:44 pm You're getting scammed lmao

I think he means $900 for a new sofa to replace the damaged one which he will take with him.
Correct
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

It's all done. Move complete. We got back about 90% percent of our deposit, took some serious negotiating. Couch repair at first was rejected because of a slight difference, and I mean slight, in shade of the fabric (which was the same brand and color, new just looks different). I told the manager if the repair is not what he want, I will pay another $10 to have redone the exact way he wants it -- those fabric guys are amazingly talented and quick -- but he would have to go there and explain in detail what he wants. New place is great. What they got us on was the old damaged sheet cover charges. Win some lose some I suppose.

Moving Blues are gone!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic