Vietnamese prawn Curry- help finding the recipe if it exists

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Vietnamese prawn Curry- help finding the recipe if it exists

Post by Freightdog »

I confess, I thought I’d posted about this before, so apologies if this a second post.

Some years ago, when I was briefly based in KL, we had a favourite lunch spot near the crew hotel. It was a little mom and pop run, roller shutter door, boxy and basic. The owners were a little Vietnamese couple, and their food was delicious.

The top dish, a favourite for many, was what they labelled Vietnam Prawn, which was further described as curried prawns. The sauce was similar to Penang and Massaman curry sauce; Thickish, pink/red, Medium spicy.

Those members with any time in Vietnam, does anything resemble that description?
Sadly, my next visit back to KL, the street had been gentrified, the jungle pushed back, the lock up businesses tidied away, and the mom and pop shop a mere memory for those people still there. There’s a hotel and a car park on that site, now.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Vietnamese prawn Curry- help finding the recipe if it exists

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:45 pm I confess, I thought I’d posted about this before, so apologies if this a second post.

Some years ago, when I was briefly based in KL, we had a favourite lunch spot near the crew hotel. It was a little mom and pop run, roller shutter door, boxy and basic. The owners were a little Vietnamese couple, and their food was delicious.

The top dish, a favourite for many, was what they labelled Vietnam Prawn, which was further described as curried prawns. The sauce was similar to Penang and Massaman curry sauce; Thickish, pink/red, Medium spicy.

Those members with any time in Vietnam, does anything resemble that description?
Sadly, my next visit back to KL, the street had been gentrified, the jungle pushed back, the lock up businesses tidied away, and the mom and pop shop a mere memory for those people still there. There’s a hotel and a car park on that site, now.
Some variant of cà ri tôm I'd think
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:32 pm Some variant of cà ri tôm I'd think
That looks like a good possibility. Cheers
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Vietnamese food is awesome on a par with Thai food some may say even better?

There was a great little Banh Mi place just around the corner from Lucky Supermarket in BKK1,I don’t know if it’s still there I love that crusty Spanish-style bread that they do?

Vietnamese Pho Noodles are definitely the best in the world! ;-)
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Where can I get solid banh mi in PP?
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:51 pm Where can I get solid banh mi in PP?
https://mapstr.com/place/S60iAtL1IFg/banh-mi-bros-pp-
steevee
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by steevee »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic