US Social Security payments suspended

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: US Social Security payments suspended

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:39 pm US Social Security isn’t automatic.

First Social Security needs to determine if a US citizen has ‘earned’ it, working 20 years in the US and how much was paid into the system. There are tiers. More paid in, more paid out (to a max). There is a website to help determine that. You’ll need your social security number and proof of years worked (W2, 1099, etc.)

There is no ‘loophole’ where money simply rains down from the sky without any effort, especially with the federal government.

Or maybe I’m never lucky unlike others on CEO.
here we go again , :facepalm:
True u apply for it at 62 or wait till ur 65 and u will get it. Its not hard to do and all done online, You actually apply a few months before u want start receiving, so the first month you turn 62/65, you get a check or direct deposit

You need to have worked 40 quarters ( 10 years)
depending on how much you earned ( paid into the system) is how much you get back/month
I barley worked at all, ( legally) so i got the bare min at the time $282/month LOL

IF you have a child UNDER 18 and ur getting SS, ur child does as well UNTILL ur child turns 18
IF ur are not getting SS ur child gets jack shit

Loopholes :please:

pissontheroof >>>
....I was going to take him to USA and do it simply

HOW??< U cant get him in on a Cambodian passport, an until u file a "report of birth abroad" ( CRBA) , you cant get him a US passport> and until he has a US passport there is no chance he will travel to the states.
If your child was born out-of-wedlock, and the father is a U.S. citizen or non-citizen U.S national, use Form DS-5507 to acknowledge the child and voluntarily agree to financially support them. Form DS-5507 must be signed by the father at a U.S. embassy or consulate or in front of a U.S. or foreign official who registers births or who is responsible for oaths.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

A while back I was considering incorporating and then having the company hire missus. She would then work for the company and after paying into the system, collect social security at retirement as well.

Taxes would complicated, of course. Double paying for corporate and personal. But many benefits.

Moot dream now.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:55 pm A while back I was considering incorporating and then having the company hire missus. She would then work for the company and after paying into the system, collect social security at retirement as well.

Taxes would complicated, of course. Double paying for corporate and personal. But many benefits.

Moot dream now.
Why would you do that? She’s already entitled to receive benefits from your earnings.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:39 pm US Social Security isn’t automatic.

First Social Security needs to determine if a US citizen has ‘earned’ it, working 20 years in the US and how much was paid into the system. There are tiers. More paid in, more paid out (to a max). There is a website to help determine that. You’ll need your social security number and proof of years worked (W2, 1099, etc.)

There is no ‘loophole’ where money simply rains down from the sky without any effort, especially with the federal government.

Or maybe I’m never lucky unlike others on CEO.
First of all you don’t need to be a US citizen to get SS benefits. Second of all you only need 40 credits, which is ten (10) years.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kenr wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:55 pm A while back I was considering incorporating and then having the company hire missus. She would then work for the company and after paying into the system, collect social security at retirement as well.

Moot dream now.
Why would you do that? She’s already entitled to receive benefits from your earnings.
She would get benefits on top of survivor benefits.

Also if she also gets a tax refund if she’s paid below a certain level. Business gets a tax write off of expenses and reports a yearly loss.

It’s very popular with the Khmer living in the US.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

When a US vet on SSDI & VA pension marries a Khmer gal ... do they qualify for benefits ... education chief concern here.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Fridaywithmateo wrote:When a US vet on SSDI & VA pension marries a Khmer gal ... do they qualify for benefits ... education chief concern here.
This article may help with your questions.

https://www.artiopartners.com/blog/soci ... an-expats/

Excerpt

Can a foreign spouse of American expats receive social security spousal benefits?

As a general rule, a foreign spouse cannot obtain social security spousal benefits if the both rules are met:

1. Foreign spouse is not a US citizen or green card holder.

2. Foreign spouse has lived outside of the USA for six consecutive months.

However, there are three exceptions to this rule. The country of citizenship and residence as well as the period of US residence play a key role in determining the eligibility for social security spousal benefits.

TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Although I am elegable for social security i have never applied for it , I just don’t need it .
I hear all these stories for to verification here . Proove you are still alive !
I don’t need all that ! Sending letters back and forth
In Thailand I had my veterans check sent to me via the consulate in Chiangmai
By US , not international mail , i went to the bank there and deposited it every month .
I am paid by the veterans administration ,

Before I came here I had radiation for prostate cancer , they upped my pay and suggested i might not be
around to collect that for so long .. I just had a 12 year anniversary here .
All my checks go into the Bank of America I withdraw the $$ every month .
Soooo much money - They never contact me in any way shape or form .
I always. wonder how they will ever know when I die .
Because there are stories out there of people being dead but somebody is “ keeping them alive “
… to collect the benefits .. I keep always wondering how to apply for social security online
for my little son who will be stuck here when I die .. the US embassy here is almost totally useless
I don’t want to ask this forum but I hope to find out somehow ..
Listening to you guys ……… it’s always on my mind ..

==================================

The social security administration has a pretty good website. Simply go to the section for applying for benefits. You can fill out an application online. I know there is a federal benefits unit office in the Manila embassy that handles Social Security for many Americans in many Asian countries including Cambodia. There is also a Social Security Office of Earning and International Operations that handles Social Security for those living overseas, their US phone number is 410-965-0160. You DO NOT have to have a US address to apply for your social security benefits and the initial application can be done online.

If your concern is benefits for your child you need to apply for your benefits. The full retirement age is 70. A child with deceased parent can receive up to 75 percent of the parent's benefit. You must have the US Birth Certificate and social security number for the child.

Good luck, don't put it off.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

pissontheroof wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:07 pm
Kenr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm What do you mean “loophole”?
Ummm , to over-ride the BS “ report a birth abroad “.
No problem to register the little _ here not being married and get a cambrodian passport
No problem at all for my thai kids being married and with that co-operation of thier mom.
But the US embassy here has an impossible many page form to fill out which requires a whole lotta
information more than Mr.B could uncover . But it’s supposed to be a birth right .
I was going to take him to USA and do it simply . But the embassy here won’t answer any of my questions.
Is why i want to contact the Social Security and give them the story and make a deal ,
I won’t ask for social security for me , but I want my kid to be compensated when I die until he is 18 .
I have no idea 🤷🏼 what I would do when I die if I even was together with his mother , since I am still married .

its just one of the things I get to wonder about in the kingdom.

======================================

There are no deals. There are rules to follow and forms to be filled out.

No Birth Certificate (or Certificate of birth abroad) = no benefits for your child. Nothing to wonder about. Fill out the forms for birth abroad, get the DNA test if necessary and you'll get the certificate. Then get the social security card.

Then apply for benefits for yourself (if your eligible) and when you die your son will be eligible for some SS payments assuming he is still a minor.
[mod edit- to fix the quote]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic