Nasty skin rash treatment needed - pref Kampot

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Nasty skin rash treatment needed - pref Kampot

Post by stevenjb »

From the pics, and an armchair non-doctor - perhaps an allergy, or hives (itchy). You want to see a dermatologist to determine if it is contagious - don't want to spread.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

stevenjb wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:11 am From the pics, and an armchair non-doctor - perhaps an allergy, or hives (itchy). You want to see a dermatologist to determine if it is contagious - don't want to spread.
That’s what a pharmacy is for here

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Could be caused by a blister beetle. These are common around the Mekong river, at certain times of year. These "bites" which are actually a secretion of Cantharidin from the beetle which cause blistering and often invoke an immune response. The effects can last a considerable time. Here is a copy of my reply concerning blister beetles from another post.
epidemiks wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:35 am
bittermelon wrote:
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:44 am
Are you sure it was a mosquito bite and not a bite caused by a blister beetle. These are common around the Mekong river, at certain times of year. These "bites" which are actually a secretion of Cantharidin from the beetle which cause blistering and often invoke an immune response. The effects can last a considerable time.

Cantharidin is an irritant substance, and it can cause human skin to blister when they come into contact with one another. It’s this effect of cantharidin that gives the blister beetle its name, and it’s these welts that people are referring to when they talk about being bitten by a blister beetle. While it’s not a bite, this chemical burn can be extremely painful, and over the years, it certainly hasn’t won the blister beetle any fans.https://www.pestwiki.com/blister-beetle-bites/

The effect of contact with these insects causes blisters which when burst often become infected.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I don't see how you can compare the average pharmacist here with a crackerjack box diploma with a trained dermatologist. They may know more than the average bloke from sheer experience but that does not a PhD make.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

johnny lightning wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:23 pm I don't see how you can compare the average pharmacist here with a crackerjack box diploma with a trained dermatologist. They may know more than the average bloke from sheer experience but that does not a PhD make.
You mean an MD, I'd guess?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

The suspect would appear to be Cipro that he was taking

katz
Tourist

Post by katz »

It is hives. The trigger is most likely a parasite like Strongaloides. Khmers call it Tee la at. Not so sure on the spelling. Albendezole is a wide spectrum anti parasitic. It will usually clear this up. Cortizone cream is great for the itching.
Good luck
Katz
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

kgbagent wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:05 pm The suspect would appear to be Cipro that he was taking

Cipro was the cure ( for mine ) not the cause
When I googled it said it was caused by stress ( I picked that one out of a few others )
So went to the pharmacy and they gave me ciproflaxin or whatever I said before
It was just odd that it showed up so bad after that night in a cheap room .
But I blames any stress on just going and being in that god awful place
I also suspected a parasite . But it’s gone after antibiotics and some itching cream and powder
I am lucky to know now about this antibiotic itching powder , now I use it where the sun don’t shine
Very comforting … 😉😉😉😉

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

IMO - one might take notice of the use of antibiotics. Those over prescribed pills can play havoc on (killing) the good bacteria in the gut. Could take years to rebuild the healthy gut biome. A messed up gut biome can lead to some nasty gut issues.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

stevenjb wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:08 am IMO - one might take notice of the use of antibiotics. Those over prescribed pills can play havoc on (killing) the good bacteria in the gut. Could take years to rebuild the healthy gut biome. A messed up gut biome can lead to some nasty gut issues.
Never knew about that .. never heard ,
The only thing that goes into my system that isn’t really required is beer .
But i’ve tricked my system into accepting it as a need
I slowed it down , but can’t stop .
I only take antibiotics if they are prescribed and never knew they are. both ( good ) but also bad .
But now you imply a person should Maybe ideallydo antibiotics only externally , can’t do that with beer 🍺 !
Hmmmm Who told you that ?
Catch 22 again.

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic