Foreign tourists to get exclusive viewing pavilion for forthcoming Water Festival in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Foreign tourists to get exclusive viewing pavilion for forthcoming Water Festival in Phnom Penh

Post by armchairlawyer »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501388288/ ... hnom-penh/

The Ministry of Tourism will organize a special pavillion north of the Royal Palace for international tourists to watch the Royal Water Festival boat race and floating lanterns from November 26 to 28, 2023.....
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Foreign tourists to get exclusive viewing pavilion for forthcoming Water Festival in Phnom Penh

Post by Kenr »

LOL. We will see how well that works out.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Foreign tourists to get exclusive viewing pavilion for forthcoming Water Festival in Phnom Penh

Post by John Bingham »

They used to do something similar way back where any foreigner walking near the royal pavilion could be picked and asked to sit up near the VIPs and royals.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Kenr wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:11 pm LOL. We will see how well that works out.
Has worked out fine in previous years, this is nothing new
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Why would you want to be segregated onto some platform above the locals celebrating their own holiday, missing the essence of what makes holidays so enjoyable in the first place?

Will pith helmets be provided as well?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:35 am Why would you want to be segregated onto some platform above the locals celebrating their own holiday, missing the essence of what makes holidays so enjoyable in the first place?
To avoid catching illnesses from them?

I jest. But I guess sitting with the Royals would be an interesting experience, too.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

The festival is incredibly boring for foreigners and we don't understand what's happening. Having a dedicated, shaded area to sit and drink beers, as I've done in the past, is relatively enjoyable for an hour or so, without having to mix with the great unwashed.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Alex wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:08 am
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:35 am Why would you want to be segregated onto some platform above the locals celebrating their own holiday, missing the essence of what makes holidays so enjoyable in the first place?
To avoid catching illnesses from them?

I jest. But I guess sitting with the Royals would be an interesting experience, too.
The one time the Royal Ploughing Ceremony was held in Angkor Wat, I was invited to sit with the VIP's on the elephant terrace. It was great as we got the best views and had a steady supply of drinks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the times i was in PP for the races, i always made it a point to be on the other side of the river with all the locals and crews
2008 i was living on the other side> loved it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:58 am the times i was in PP for the races, i always made it a point to be on the other side of the river with all the locals and crews
2008 i was living on the other side> loved it
I've done that too, but their location changed after the new embankment was built over there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic