Laughing Gas Balloons Crackdown: Police Raid 2 Phnom Penh Nightclubs & Detain 32 Foreigners

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Laughing Gas Balloons Crackdown: Police Raid 2 Phnom Penh Nightclubs & Detain 32 Foreigners

Post by Albror »

RedBull wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:26 pm I wonder how the law makes this gas an illegal substance. If I remember correctly you can use it for a whip cream maker and other stuff.

So, does that mean you can get arrested for making whip cream at home now?
Selling for recreational use of the gas is illegal.

Those who ended up on the bus will probably just be reeducated about the dangers of inhaling it but i dont think possession by itself is illegal.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Re: Laughing Gas Balloons Crackdown: Police Raid 2 Phnom Penh Nightclubs & Detain 32 Foreigners

Post by Roryborealis »

I remember those handheld "cake decorating" cannisters of "whip-its" (more portable than those huge tanks) being very popular at high school and college parties in the 90s. Watching everyone get light headed always reminded me of Steve Martin as the dentist in Little Shop of Horrors, which was a great role for him.
Mcdrizzle
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Mcdrizzle »

Wtf?
Just for bribes?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

what about Top Banana? and a few other spots. Was it just a matter of not taking care of the right people in administration?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:06 am what about Top Banana? and a few other spots. Was it just a matter of not taking care of the right people in administration?
We all already know the answer.

Why didnt the other at least 3 places selling ballons at bassac lane get raided at the same time? Not like the local police dont know what is going on but this will make sure the other places pay up with a big smile on their faces :roll:
SiemReapLOL
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SiemReapLOL »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:42 pm
SiemReapLOL wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:10 am What is the standard bribe for being in a bar that might have balloons when the retarded Khmer police come around looking for their tea money?
250 people times $1000 a head? Be on the lookout for a new land rover in Phnom Penh
I don't think you're in any position to call anyone retarded. Standard bribe? :please:
Did I say retarded? Sorry, that was a typo. What I meant to say was honorable and competent police. And totally not corrupt
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic