Clearing the Path to Progress: Kampong Speu Province Declared Landmine-Free

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Clearing the Path to Progress: Kampong Speu Province Declared Landmine-Free

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News: Cambodia's Kampong Speu Province Opens New Administrative Building, Declares Itself 13th Landmine-Free Province

Kampong Speu Province in Cambodia celebrated a significant milestone with the official inauguration of its new administrative building. Additionally, the province proudly announced its achievement as the 13th landmine-free province in the country. The accomplishment was made possible through the collaborative efforts of five demining organizations and the generous support from partner countries, private sector development partners, and philanthropists.

Acknowledging the invaluable contributions of various entities, the Senior Minister expressed gratitude to the Cambodian Mine Action Fund and the Samdech Techo Project for Mine Action, among others. Their dedicated efforts and financial support played a vital role in enabling the successful clearance of landmines in Kampong Speu Province.

Looking ahead, Cambodia is committed to further demining initiatives. The nation aims to clear an extensive area of 538 square kilometers by 2025. Beyond this date, an additional 1,279 square kilometers of land contaminated with explosive ordnance will be addressed. The Mine Authority will continue to spearhead and coordinate demining activities to ensure progress well into the future.

Reflecting on the journey leading up to its status as a landmine-free province, His Excellency Senior Minister Ly Thuch, First Deputy Chairman of the Mine Authority, remarked that Kampong Speu Province had previously endured the ravages of war. As a prominent battleground during a turbulent era, it was crucial to secure control over the province before the fall of Phnom Penh into the hands of a genocidal regime. Consequently, Kampong Speu inherited remnants of explosives from those tumultuous times.

The successful clearance of landmines in Kampong Speu Province can be attributed to the steadfast leadership and unwavering commitment of the Royal Government of Cambodia. Furthermore, the province received generous financial contributions from various sources, including partner countries, private sector development partners, and philanthropic organizations such as the Cambodian Mine Action Fund, the 2025 Samdech Techo Project for Mine Action, the United Kingdom, the Malaysian Chamber of Commerce in Cambodia, and the local inhabitants of Kampong Speu Province.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram