Local cleaner finds a little fame and cashes in.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Local cleaner finds a little fame and cashes in.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The story goes that years ago a foreigner took a picture of the guy below while he was engaged in his work of sweeping around a temple (presumably Angkor Wat) with a broom. To the man's surprise some years later Lonely Planet released the Cambodia Guidebook with his image on the cover.

Apparently he can now be found out the front of the temple cashing in on his celebrity by posing with pirated copies of the publication and selling them to earn a few dollars.

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Local cleaner finds a little fame and cashes in.

Post by Alex »

Good for him.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

He would be better of money wise getting a lawyer to sue. I'm sure a lawyer would find an excuse or reason to extort money from a international publisher
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:24 pm He would be better of money wise getting a lawyer to sue. I'm sure a lawyer would find an excuse or reason to extort money from a international publisher
Or maybe, before someone does that, they test the Lonely Planets commitment to its DEI statement on its "about" page.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/about

See if they are prepared to live up to their own words and re-imburse this chap for using his image in their publication.
Earl of Mercia
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Earl of Mercia »

There is no land for farming for these unfortunate locals living within Angkor,as if the living scraped in Cambodia wasn't meagre enough already?
I knew a girl whose family lived there her name was Nara,she worked in Le Tigre de Papier for many years for USD $60 per month.
In the end the strain of putting her little sister through school plus supporting her whole family took its toll,last time I was in Siem Reap I dropped in but she no longer worked there.
She hadn't for somectime and all the other girls could give me as a reason was "sick".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic