Social Security "proof I am still alive form"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Social Security "proof I am still alive form"

Post by wolfcreek »

Has the US Social Security Administration started mailing SSA-7162 (proof I am still alive) forms out once again? I know they were paused during the COVID period.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Social Security "proof I am still alive form"

Post by phuketrichard »

yes,
They send them out in June/July and if u dont respond Oct/Nov

I have gotten one every year, no pause during covid ( 2021 in Thailand, 2022 in Cambodia)

From Manila.
"The Annual Report Form (SSA-7162 / SSA-7161) is generally mailed to beneficiaries in June or July. A second notice is mailed around October or November. You need to wait until the end of November for your yearly form. If by then you still have not received it, please do inform us via email and we will give you further instructions."
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

While living outside the US. It is my understanding if one keeps their bank account and mailing address in the US then this form is not necessary?
ToyoField
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by ToyoField »

stevenjb wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:39 pm While living outside the US. It is my understanding if one keeps their bank account and mailing address in the US then this form is not necessary?
I believe that is correct. When I was receiving my checks in Vietnam or Cambodia from 2014 to 2020, I received "the letter." However, since I switched to direct deposit into a US account with a US address, I no longer receive "the letter." Maybe someone else has more info.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I have my banking and finance accounts all in the US, have a US mailing address. My SS checks were stopped last March until I filled in a 7162 (which can be downloaded from the net), and sent the original via DHL to Manila. Take your passport with you to DHL. Cost 80 bucks, delivered the next day. My checks resumed within 2 days. Must be done every December. Not much of a hassle, form is simple, easy to fill out. Before last year, they accepted a scanned copy, but they said now the covid is over, they demand the original again.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

rgrowden wrote:I have my banking and finance accounts all in the US, have a US mailing address. My SS checks were stopped last March until I filled in a 7162 (which can be downloaded from the net), and sent the original via DHL to Manila. Take your passport with you to DHL. Cost 80 bucks, delivered the next day. My checks resumed within 2 days. Must be done every December. Not much of a hassle, form is simple, easy to fill out. Before last year, they accepted a scanned copy, but they said now the covid is over, they demand the original again.
Do you mean SS checks to you overseas or direct deposit into your US banking account? Thanks.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

EMS would be cheaper than DHL methinks, though slower....
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Social Security

Post by rgrowden »

stevenjb wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:12 am
rgrowden wrote:I have my banking and finance accounts all in the US, have a US mailing address. My SS checks were stopped last March until I filled in a 7162 (which can be downloaded from the net), and sent the original via DHL to Manila. Take your passport with you to DHL. Cost 80 bucks, delivered the next day. My checks resumed within 2 days. Must be done every December. Not much of a hassle, form is simple, easy to fill out. Before last year, they accepted a scanned copy, but they said now the covid is over, they demand the original again.
Do you mean SS checks to you overseas or direct deposit into your US banking account? Thanks.
Direct deposit.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

wolfcreek wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:43 pm EMS would be cheaper than DHL methinks, though slower....
Not sure. I sent a traced letter to Europe last month, 132.000r (EMS), and it took 9 days to arrive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic