Cambodia's Outsize Contribution to UN Peacekeeping

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's Outsize Contribution to UN Peacekeeping

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two Units of Cambodian Peacekeepers to Return Home in September and November
AKP Phnom Penh, July 18, 2023 --
Two units of Cambodian blue helmet troops will return home in early September and mid-November this year from their mission in the Republic of Mali, according to a notice on the repatriation of the United Nations Command in the Republic of Mali (MINUSMA).

The reason of the UN troops’ withdrawal is that the Malian government and non-governmental groups have asked the UN to withdraw all forces.

The United Nations Security Council Report showed that on June 30, the Council adopted resolution 2690, which terminated the mandate of the MINUSMA as of June 30 and requested the UN to immediately start on July 1 the transfer of its tasks and the orderly and safe drawdown and withdrawal of its personnel, with the objective of completing this process by Dec. 31.
By Phal Sophanith
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

^^^^
Cambodia Agrees to Pull Out Her UN’s Blue Beret Troops from Mali
AKP Phnom Penh, October 25, 2023 --
Cambodia agreed to pull out her peace-keeping troops together with other international forces under the United Nations umbrella from Mali, being intensified by armed conflict between Malian army and rebel group.

Samdech Moha Borvor Thipadei HM, Prime Minister of Cambodia, said he has given a notification of agreement on the UN’s peace keeping troops’ withdrawal from Mali.
“A few days ago, I has given my consent to withdraw nearly 100 of Cambodian Blue Beret troops from Mali, as the United Nations had begun withdrawing them. Even the UN troops were being attacked,” he said at a get-together with over 12,000 garment employees and workers in Kampong Cham province this morning.

In July this year, the United Nations Security Council Members reiterated strong support for the full withdrawal of the decade-old UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali, and the transfer of security responsibilities to the country’s transitional government, which has been in power since a coup in 2021, according to UN website.

By the terms of the adopted resolution, UN will completely pull out from Mali by January 1, 2024.
By Chea Vannak
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Invasion is coming. The struggles between the democratic countries and the full on dictatorships has been brewing for a while in Africa.

My prediction.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:14 pm Invasion is coming. The struggles between the democratic countries and the full on dictatorships has been brewing for a while in Africa.

My prediction.
So just to be clear, who will be invading which country, exactly, according to your prediction?

Democratic countries in Africa LOL.

I'd say let them kill each other. I'm happy that Cambodia will withdraw its troops. Their silly little conflicts aren't worth any loss of Cambodian lives.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The struggle in Mali these days involves a junta who came to power in 2021 after a coup that ousted the previous junta who came to power in a coup in 2020. They are fighting the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara. They had French and UN military aid for some time but have more recently started employing Wagner/ Russian mercenaries.

These are the good Dogon guys stuck in the middle.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic