What brought you here? What made you stay?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: What brought you here? What made you stay?

Post by Hotdigr »

Long story short - jaded with life in Oz. Had decided on Indo. Broke my back at work and can't surf anymore, so there goes Indo as I couldn't stand watching people surf and not being able to myself. Came to Cambo to visit my new niece. Fell in love with Sihanoukville - the beach lifestyle but no surf to tease me.
Why I stay - great lifestyle, great relationship, good job, good friends, it's my home, why would I wan't to leave it?
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Jaap N. wrote:
Mrs Stroppy wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
vladimir wrote:I was sent here.
Me too. God sent me.
Us
Is that the Royal 'Us'? :mrgreen:
Well Stroppychops did claim to be an exiled Nigerian prince in another thread... Yes we're here because God sent us
Using Tapatalk
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Was a post removed from this thread?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Mrs Stroppy wrote:
Jaap N. wrote:
Mrs Stroppy wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
vladimir wrote:I was sent here.
Me too. God sent me.
Us
Is that the Royal 'Us'? :mrgreen:
Well Stroppychops did claim to be an exiled Nigerian prince in another thread... Yes we're here because God sent us
And here I am thinking that there was no such thing as a God. I'm glad you showed me The Way. Thank you. :Yahoo!:
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Satiated Parrot wrote:Was a post removed from this thread?

What makes you say that?
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Satiated Parrot wrote:Was a post removed from this thread?

I seriously doubt it.

For the record though, if your post is the last (meaning nobody has yet to post after you), you can DELETE your own post.

Maybe that's what happened?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Dara
Expatriate

Post by Dara »

and if someone posts while you were composing,

when you hit "submit" it takes you to another page showing
the post and asking if you still want to post........you have to
click "submit" again or your post will be lost.
milkncereal
Expatriate

Post by milkncereal »

Brought me here: easy visa and the internet said it was cheap.

Made me stay: how cheap it is, and how easy it is to renew my visa
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

I'm truly flabbergasted at the high number of peeps citing "visa" as the #1 reason for staying here. What an inane reason for choosing a place to live long-term (or for the rest of your days). All other SEA countries have visa rules that can be dealt with in some way (VN, Laos, Thailand, etc.) - mostly by getting a job or crossing the border once in awhile.

Surely the visa should be factor, but not the primary motivating one. It appears that all those people don't really have a "real engaged life" here. It's the only country that they can find that will let them stay easily. Frankly, this is astounding to me as it basically devalues all the other legitimate and valid reasons to live in Cambodia. There are myriad characteristics of Cambodia that influence me to stay here. The visa is way down my personal list.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

dagenham wrote:I'm truly flabbergasted at the high number of peeps citing "visa" as the #1 reason for staying here. What an inane reason for choosing a place to live long-term (or for the rest of your days). All other SEA countries have visa rules that can be dealt with in some way (VN, Laos, Thailand, etc.) - mostly by getting a job or crossing the border once in awhile.

Surely the visa should be factor, but not the primary motivating one. It appears that all those people don't really have a "real engaged life" here. It's the only country that they can find that will let them stay easily. Frankly, this is astounding to me as it basically devalues all the other legitimate and valid reasons to live in Cambodia. There are myriad characteristics of Cambodia that influence me to stay here. The visa is way down my personal list.
I have to agree. I never even bothered researching the visa situation until after my first trip. I'd essentially decided to live here (or at least, try it out temporarily) before even looking into visas. Might not have been so wise, but I lucked out I guess. However, I can understand why retirees or people who do freelance work (writers, IT consultants etc) might want to narrow down their "living abroad" choices based on visa requirements.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic