English Dentist Coming to Cambodia to Assist Dental Charity

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: English Dentist Coming to Cambodia to Assist Dental Charity

Post by Freightdog »

Alex wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:38 am
Just to be clear, I'm not dissing this particular initiative by this particular dentist. I just took the opportunity to diss England's failing healthcare system once again.
Good for you.

There is a smidgen of irony.
In the UK, there is a definite shortage of dental care, let alone good dental care. A good friend was a dentist. She just cashed in, retired early, bought another house. Both her kids are dentists, now living and working in Queensland.

Still. It could be worse. We could be dependent upon Turkish dental butchers.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

Little off topic.

I'm from Canada. We have free universal healthcare but not dental care. Are there "Western" countries that offer free universal dental care?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Newinkow wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:34 pm Little off topic.

I'm from Canada. We have free universal healthcare but not dental care. Are there "Western" countries that offer free universal dental care?
The UK did have till the late 90s or so. I'm not sure how it works nowadays. Possibly not so well.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The paradox is that some very kind and very qualified dentists are giving up their time to do free dental work in Cambodia, and meanwhile "Denta-Tourists" from first world countries are paying big bucks for their dental tour package holidays in Phnom Penh (plus islands and temples thrown in.)
https://www.dentavacation.com/dental-work-in-cambodia/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

pissontheroof wrote:Oh , my kid is vulnerable and definitely needs a dentist Image .
So far he won’t even let the cute technician open up his mouth and look at his cavities .
It’s all my fault I know , but I hope this guy see this and visits for a stop to siem reap
Please Image ..

พิซออนเดอรูฟ Image

In the US there is a subsegment of kids and adults (mentally impaired) that don’t brush their teeth and require general anesthesia for dental restoration.

So maybe England is better.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:58 pm
Just to be clear, I'm not dissing this particular initiative by this particular dentist. I just took the opportunity to diss England's failing healthcare system once again.
Good for you.

In the UK, there is a definite shortage of dental care, let alone good dental care. A good friend was a dentist. She just cashed in, retired early, bought another house. Both her kids are dentists, now living and working in Queensland.

She would also have to learn to understand australien,
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:58 pm
Good for you.

Unfortunately, this french butcher is not available anymore (he took 8 years) :

"In one example, between 2006 and 2012, Guedj was accused of performing 3,900 root canals on 327 patients who had no medical need for the procedure, simply because he wanted to fit bridges that would make him money. Dental procedures that normally took 45 minutes to an hour were performed by Guedj in about 10 minutes – many of them resulting in infections, complications or permanent damage.

Such was Guedj’s “industrial” approach, squeezing the maximum number of procedures into the minimum time, that in 2010 he became the highest-earning dental surgeon in France, making up to €2.9m (£2.5m) in fees. He used it to purchase property, paintings and luxury cars."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/08/french-dentist-jailed-over-thousands-of-unnecessary-procedures
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:12 pm
Newinkow wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:34 pm Little off topic.

The UK did have till the late 90s or so. I'm not sure how it works nowadays. Possibly not so well.
There is still "NHS" dental care, but it's more subsidised rather than free. Firstly, finding a dentists that accepts NHS patients is almost an exercise in futility. When I returned to the UK, it took almost 2 years on a waiting list to finally get on my local dentist's patient list. The upside, a check-up and a filling was "only" £28. Private costs would have been well over £120. You have to have a check-up every 6 months for £20-odd, otherwise you will be removed from the patient list...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It was much easier back then and there were no charges.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

In the "west", countries with universal healthcare are all struggling to maintain the level of service "expected" from by citizens. While year after year these gov't have continued to cut or not increase healthcare spending.

It would be a very rich or highly taxed nation to offer both to their citizens. Here in Canada there has be a big debate in gov't over implementing a subsided dental care for to low incomes and seniors. The debate has been ongoing for years. Won't hold my breath!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic