Tourism fee fund to be fast-tracked after payouts to families in the Siam Paragon mass shooting

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Tourism fee fund to be fast-tracked after payouts to families in the Siam Paragon mass shooting

Post by phuketrichard »

New foreign tourism levy to be paid on arrival at kiosks at Immigration Bureau points of entry, including at airports after landing.

New foreign tourism levy to be paid on arrival at kiosks at Immigration Bureau points of entry, including at airports after landing. The fee will also be delivered via a website or smartphone app, said the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in the latest update on a proposal that has been up in the air for decades but has yet to be implemented by successive Thai governments.

The Tourism Ministry and the Siam Paragon Shopping Centre came forward this week to compensate the families of the two women murdered during Tuesday’s mass shooting in Bangkok after the government admitted that the Tourism Assistance Fund to compensate tourists involved in emergencies in Thailand had recently been cancelled by officials in an efficiency drive. The Tourism Minister, Ms Sudawan Wang-Suphakitkosol, promised to fast-track the introduction of the long-awaited foreign tourism entry fee, which the ministry now proposes will be paid by travellers on arrival at entry points to the kingdom, providing emergency medical health insurance cover and other benefits for 30 days from the point of entry.

This fund was dissolved by the government last year as it was found not to be in keeping with performance evaluation goals demanded by the ministry, and given the pending tourism fee, which includes the automatic fund, accounting for ฿70 out of the ฿300 cost, for insuring foreign tourists.
Plan to have airlines collect the fee appears to have been shelved by the government as Thailand tries to boost flight connectivity back to 2019 levels

Tourism Fee to paid in cash or via a website, apps and kiosks located at entry points to the kingdom under the latest proposal from the ministry
The new system for the proposed tourism fee will impose a duty on tourists to pay the fee themselves.

The fee will be paid on arrival via a website, an app or kiosks at the country’s international airports, land borders and checkpoints.

The tourism fee is supported broadly by the tourism industry as its tourist insurance fund is considered an essential step forward given the repeated stories of tragedies, accidents, and personal disasters which occur every year.
full story

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news- ... rt-kiosks/

on Thai visa; some interesting comments
https://aseannow.com/topic/1308673-tour ... 1696918322

Posted Monday at 05:01 AM
On 10/9/2023 at 4:16 AM, chris26be said:
So when a Thai citizen shoots someone, the tourists have to pay the costs?

Right. The Thai son of wealthy Thai parents goes into a Thai shopping mall owned by Thai billionaires and kills some foreigners. To show how much it cares, the Thai government pays compensation to the victims using money coming only from foreign tourists. :facepalm: :facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Tourism fee fund to be fast-tracked after payouts to families in the Siam Paragon mass shooting

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

Thats why many of us who have been traveling and or living in Thailand for ages aand ages (my first time in Thailand was in the 1980s) are seeking greener pastures. Me, Ill be back in Cambodia in December. It may cost me to come to BKK every month or so, but the Thais arent getting my daily money. Penny wise pound foolish as it comes to my wallet. Tips in Siem Reap are cheaper, 1000 real vs 20 baht, border crossing is cheaper on my Visa, which is far cheaper than in Thailand, less contact with Government, rent is cheaper, easier to get around, less pollution, far better place to live overall. Bye Bangkok, you can find me at Bayon Temple
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Tourism fee fund to be fast-tracked after payouts to families in the Siam Paragon mass shooting

Post by Anchor Moy »

:mob: More online outrage by expats in Thailand who don't know what to be upset about ...
Next... :tumbleweed:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Just arrived in Thailand from with my girl for the first time since 2020. Her restaurant closed for four (4) days because of the holiday here so we decided to hop on over. No forms to fill out now, less than five (5) minutes at immigration, no hassle at all.

I personally don’t care about the extra fee, but they really should push harder and add it into the ticket price. I can see these kiosk lines being backed up from here to eternity, and that could turn out to be an issue for some, including myself.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic