RIP: MUNEO YAMAMOTO, Founder of Japanese Language School in Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

RIP: MUNEO YAMAMOTO, Founder of Japanese Language School in Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Japanese School Founder Yamamoto Dies at 94
By Ung Chamroeun October 11, 2023 10:55 AM
PHNOM PENH – Muneo Yamamoto, the founder of a famous Japanese language school in Siem Reap, died on Oct.9 at the age of 94. He was known for his contribution to developing human resources in the tourism sector.

For citizens of Siem Reap, especially Japanese-speaking tourism operators, he was a hero for founding the Yamamoto Japanese Language Education Center and JHC Angkor Tours.

Yamamoto founded the center in 1996 at his own expense, based on the Social Contribution Support Foundation. He had the goal of "deepening the friendship between Cambodia and Japan so that Japanese tourists can work and achieve economic independence for Cambodians to help rebuild the country, which had been exhausted by the long civil war."

Students can get free Japanese lessons and graduates use their Japanese skills as tour guides and hotel workers.

In 2013, Yamamoto received the “Social Contributor Award” at the 25th Social Contributor Award ceremony arranged by the Social Contribution Support Foundation.

“I have a role like today because of Yamamoto”, said Oddar Meanchey police commissioner Huot Sothy.
Sothy is a former student in the 2nd generation of the center and expressed his condolences and gratitude to Yamamoto.

He said he had become what he was now because of Yamamoto who was an amazing Japanese philanthropist who used his own money to help students in Siem Reap and raised money for the school building fund.
Sothy said he wanted to preserve and pass on the memory of Yamamoto’s reputation to the next generation.

Yamamoto's funeral will be held in the Buddhist tradition at the JHC headquarters in Krous village, next to National Road 6. His body will be cremated on the evening of Oct.13.
https://cambodianess.com/article/japane ... dies-at-94
Originally written in Khmer for ThmeyThmey, this article was translated by Chhuon Kongieng for Cambodianess.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RIP: MUNEO YAMAMOTO, Founder of Japanese Language School in Siem Reap

Post by pissontheroof »

I had 2 years in japan 🇯🇵 . Looking back just from my memory it was very good there .
I loved japan for some reason before , during , and after I was there. .
I was lucky to be based ( my job I found ) on Shikoku island .
A city named matsuyama , and later saijo, both in Ehime prefecture .
The days before facebook & camera phones , so some few snapshots are long gone .
I dint even get an email address until some years later , so no addresses .
when i had got to leave my solitary confinement and settled into thailand 🇹🇭 for10 years.
. 2 kids there and still married to their mother
tho we haven’t spoke for at least 12 years now . She got old .
Living and working ata thai restaurant in Seattle ..
… seeing obituaries these days really makes me think , my only real relative now is my big kid , born in USA 🇺🇸
One thai kid is lost , and one is an enigma in his mind .
2 cambrodian kids , and one of them now is going to keep me alive until death do us part .
The only possession ( except for about a dozen iPhones 📱 and ipads and MacBooks ) that I care about .

I knew a few Yamamoto’s
さようなら
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:57 am Japanese School Founder Yamamoto Dies at 94
By Ung Chamroeun October 11, 2023 10:55 AM
PHNOM PENH – Muneo Yamamoto, the founder of a famous Japanese language school in Siem Reap, died on Oct.9 at the age of 94. He was known for his contribution to developing human resources in the tourism sector.

For citizens of Siem Reap, especially Japanese-speaking tourism operators, he was a hero for founding the Yamamoto Japanese Language Education Center and JHC Angkor Tours.

Yamamoto founded the center in 1996 at his own expense, based on the Social Contribution Support Foundation. He had the goal of "deepening the friendship between Cambodia and Japan so that Japanese tourists can work and achieve economic independence for Cambodians to help rebuild the country, which had been exhausted by the long civil war."

Students can get free Japanese lessons and graduates use their Japanese skills as tour guides and hotel workers.

In 2013, Yamamoto received the “Social Contributor Award” at the 25th Social Contributor Award ceremony arranged by the Social Contribution Support Foundation.

“I have a role like today because of Yamamoto”, said Oddar Meanchey police commissioner Huot Sothy.
Sothy is a former student in the 2nd generation of the center and expressed his condolences and gratitude to Yamamoto.

He said he had become what he was now because of Yamamoto who was an amazing Japanese philanthropist who used his own money to help students in Siem Reap and raised money for the school building fund.
Sothy said he wanted to preserve and pass on the memory of Yamamoto’s reputation to the next generation.

Yamamoto's funeral will be held in the Buddhist tradition at the JHC headquarters in Krous village, next to National Road 6. His body will be cremated on the evening of Oct.13.
https://cambodianess.com/article/japane ... dies-at-94
Originally written in Khmer for ThmeyThmey, this article was translated by Chhuon Kongieng for Cambodianess.
I wasn't aware there were enough Japanese citizens here to require the needs of a Japanese school, but then I guess there are a lot of Japanese academics in the work of restoring temples, especially the Bayon...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:41 pm I wasn't aware there were enough Japanese citizens here to require the needs of a Japanese school, but then I guess there are a lot of Japanese academics in the work of restoring temples, especially the Bayon...
Maybe you missed these snippets:
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:30 am
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:41 pm I wasn't aware there were enough Japanese citizens here to require the needs of a Japanese school, but then I guess there are a lot of Japanese academics in the work of restoring temples, especially the Bayon...
Maybe you missed these snippets:
Lets study this phenomenon :
How do you suppose he missed those ?
… He quoted the whole everything ..

:dragonchase:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic