How much money did you have at your disposal when you arrived in Cambodia? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How much cash did you have at your disposal when you arrived in Cambodia?

1. 0$-$5000
29%
2. $5000-$10,000
17%
3. $10,000-$25,000
10%
4. $25,000-$50,000
13%
5. $50,000-$75,000
2%
6. $75,000-$100,000
6%
7. $100,000- $200,000
8%
8. $200,000-$300,000
8%
9. $300,000-$500,000
No votes
10. $500,000+
6%

Total votes: 48
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: How much money did you have at your disposal when you arrived in Cambodia? Poll.

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Can't remember exact amount, but I had somewhere in the range of $30k+ in savings which I could access via Debit Card as needed, savings were split between accounts in NZ, Aus & Dubai, so i had 3x Debit cards which i kept separately in case one got lost/stolen.

I have always believed in keeping at least 12 months or more living expenses in savings as a safety net, and it has saved my ass on a couple occasions.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: How much money did you have at your disposal when you arrived in Cambodia? Poll.

Post by khmerhamster »

Similar to Kiwi, I have a buffer of 6-9 month expenses easily available - not always in cash though. Other funds are available but are often locked in and not quickly accessible.
So ‘how much cash?’ is not the right question - it doesn’t make much financial sense to hold massive cash balances.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I had about $500,000 after selling the house in Perth. I managed to spend most of it and 17 years later I have little left. I will be bankrupted soon over about $180,000 in debts but after three years all debts are wiped so it’s a pretty good deal. Only downside is that I can’t run for office so I will never be Prime Minister.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Kudos to the 2/3 of individuals who have taken the survey so far who came here with under $50k. I know everyones situation is different, either coming here for for work or for retirement, but I wouldn't have had the balls to do it. $200k was the magic number for me to feel safe, just in case. I was sure that my pension would cover me easily, and it has, and it will be even better when I turn 62 in 4 years and am able to collect Social Security. I lived paycheck to paycheck for many years in my younger days, and it sucked, and am lucky not to have to do it now.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

I arrived, extremely reckless, young and foolish on a one-way ticket (fake AirAsia onward ticket that thankfully I didn't have to produce) and $5,000 stuffed in various pockets. Had dumped all my worldly belongings, this was going to be a do or die proposition. Quite literally.

Had the time of my life, met unforgettable people had unforgettable experiences, forever seared into my soul...all whilst damn near swirling to the bottom of the ever-beckoning drain that is Cambodia's sultry dark side.

Somehow made it out, cleared my conscience and have two lovely progenies currently flourishing in private school in the States.

Whodathunkit?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

willyhilly wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:04 pm I had about $500,000 after selling the house in Perth. I managed to spend most of it and 17 years later I have little left. I will be bankrupted soon over about $180,000 in debts but after three years all debts are wiped so it’s a pretty good deal. Only downside is that I can’t run for office so I will never be Prime Minister.
Set your sights a bit lower and I will vote for you.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Correction :

Username Taken wrote: ↑Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:12 am
I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it left!

I bet @pissontheroof knows that one.
Why was I singled out here ? Everybody starts out with nuthing ,
I got lucky with a compensatable disability that i can live with -
obviously outliving the doctor who said I would be dead in a year or two 12 years ago .
I lost quite a bit but the longer I live the longer i can save a egg 🪺 for merle .
I’d much rather be dead but i have a responsibility not to .

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Plenty. I prob should have bought some properties tbh, but I spent it on motorcycles beer and women & I squandered the rest
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

If you went to Cambodia without a lot of money, did you have employment/housing sorted out? That would make a huge difference.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Went with $30k. Blew it all & must say I feel it was the best way.

Luckily getting work & building up money elsewhere was easy.

Cambodia is not my place for living or earning but thankfully I can drop in whenever I want for as long as I want.

Perhaps one day I could live there but not quite yet.

Big respect to those that went there, made a business & did well. It was always my hope but killer heat, untrustworthy locals & temptation hindered me haha
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic