I think my electricity charge is too much

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: I think my electricity charge is too much

Post by Bluenose »

This was from KT about 16 months ago:

Yim Viseth, chairman of the Electricity Authority of Cambodia told Khmer Times that the government has decided to lower the cost of electricity for consumers in industry and agriculture.

He explained that there are currently four types of electricity tariffs for households. It costs 380Riels/kWh from 1kWh to 10 kWh of monthly consumption, 480 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 11kWh to 50 kWh, 610 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 51kWh to 200 kWh and 730 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption that exceeds 200 kWh.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:48 am
Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:29 am Lease renewal time, again. The landlady is proving difficult. Again.
The revised lease has been presented, and it’s typically vague and badly completed, just as before.

Would some kind soul who receives their own EDC bill, be so kind as to provide a photo of the billing rates as presented on an EDC bill?
The price is progressive so to quote the EdC price you need to provide an amount.
In other words if you live in a complex the price might go up because your landlord counts as one entity. I've had friends pay as low as 480R but that was in the countryside.
I live in the countryside and currently pay just over 700r per KWh as long as I use less than 200 KWh per month. I know EdC has special arrangements for large buildings.
RightSaidFred
Expatriate
Cuba

Post by RightSaidFred »

I lived in a certain building in BKK1 where I got an electricity bill of over $300 per month. We are out all day at work and only use 1 room when we are at home, aircon, etc. They claimed the rate was 30 cents but they were obviously adding in the common use charges. The meter in the house was obviously also linked to the common facilities. We left the building after a few years as we realised it was a scam. Lovely apartment but terrible landlady.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:29 am Lease renewal time, again. The landlady is proving difficult. Again.
The revised lease has been presented, and it’s typically vague and badly completed, just as before.

Would some kind soul who receives their own EDC bill, be so kind as to provide a photo of the billing rates as presented on an EDC bill?
The price is progressive so to quote the EdC price you need to provide an amount.
As I mentioned in my post, I’m looking for the rates, not a price. I’ll use a calculator to show the landlady the genuine price.

On the bill, it has, or used to have the breakdown of rates for ranges of consumption. The landlady/landlord are making up their own rates, even though we’ve brought them back to the original agreement several times.
But we don’t get an individual bill, even though there is an independent meter.

What I’m looking to get is a snapshot of a recent bill, showing the billing ranges. Then I’ll demonstrate the correct billing amount to them, rather than their ficticious amount.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:23 pm

As I mentioned in my post, I’m looking for the rates, not a price. I’ll use a calculator to show the landlady the genuine price.

On the bill, it has, or used to have the breakdown of rates for ranges of consumption. The landlady/landlord are making up their own rates, even though we’ve brought them back to the original agreement several times.
But we don’t get an individual bill, even though there is an independent meter.

What I’m looking to get is a snapshot of a recent bill, showing the billing ranges. Then I’ll demonstrate the correct billing amount to them, rather than their ficticious amount.
I can't help you with 'the rates', EdC can, but the base rate is 670r per KWh.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:23 pm What I’m looking to get is a snapshot of a recent bill, showing the billing ranges. Then I’ll demonstrate the correct billing amount to them, rather than their ficticious amount.
I have checked and there is no such chart on the EDC bills.
But, I can confirm that the following chart checks out for me:
Bluenose wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:19 am 380 Riels/kWh from 1kWh to 10 kWh of monthly consumption,
480 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 11kWh to 50 kWh,
610 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption from 51kWh to 200 kWh and
730 Riels/kWh for a monthly consumption that exceeds 200 kWh.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

They charge for the 100-200 KwH band. Last month we were out of the country for some time so we used less than normal
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I had this problem not too long ago. I only used aircon perhaps 16 hours a day, always turn lights off, have a gas stove, etc. And my electricity bill was 170USD (with rate at 0?25USD/KwH).

Turned out, my air conditioners were broken and thus were running hard just to bring the temp down. Fixing my air conditioners also fixed my problem. This month, my electricity bill was only 98 dollars.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

A serviced aircon is a happy aircon, and so is the user
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

stevenjb wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:26 pm A serviced aircon is a happy aircon, and so is the user
Also a aircon that is turned off makes a user happy atleast one day every month. [when the elec bill arrives.]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic