Why is this butter so inexplicably cheap?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why is this butter so inexplicably cheap?

Post by John Bingham »

Since when did butter ever have a "grassy taste"?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:38 am Since when did butter ever have a "grassy taste"?

Since cows first began eating grass, I'd presume.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:38 am Since when did butter ever have a "grassy taste"?
LOL

In the Netherlands there's 'grass cheese', it's a very young cheese made from the first milk the cows give in spring when going out into the fields again. Maybe it's a bit like that.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:45 am
LOL

In the Netherlands there's 'grass cheese', it's a very young cheese made from the first milk the cows give in spring when going out into the fields again. Maybe it's a bit like that.
Indeed, it's very common for grass-fed, pasture-raised cows to give milk that has a slight grassy flavour:

The tasteless crap in supermarkets comes from cows being fed an unnatural diet almost entirely of corn or feed, hence why many people have the assumption that natural, raw milk or pasture-fed milk tastes "weird" or "off", when that is just how real milk is supposed to taste.

The Flavor of Dairy Products from Grass-Fed Cows

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:49 am
Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:45 am
LOL

Indeed, it's very common for grass-fed, pasture-raised cows to give milk that has a slight grassy flavour:

The tasteless crap in supermarkets comes from cows being fed an unnatural diet almost entirely of corn or feed, hence why many people have the assumption that natural, raw milk or pasture-fed milk tastes "weird" or "off", when that is just how real milk is supposed to taste.
I don't think you can assume the Cambodian cows are 'grass fed' though. There's a dry seasons lasting 6 months and there's not much grass to feed during that period of time.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:57 am
I don't think you can assume the Cambodian cows are 'grass fed' though. There's a dry seasons lasting 6 months and there's not much grass to feed during that period of time.
I was at a dairy in Bati district. The cattle were kept in sheds and fed hay. The dairy products produced in this region are mostly garbage compared to western Europe where most cattle are pasture grazed. US butter is foul stuff that can only be used for cooking.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Why is this butter so inexplicably cheap?

I can believe it's not butter. I bought some a year or so ago and it was awful. I thought it was probably margarine. It ended up in the freezer and then started smelling funny. Got binned in the end.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:13 am Why is this butter so inexplicably cheap?

I can believe it's not butter. I bought some a year or so ago and it was awful. I thought it was probably margarine. It ended up in the freezer and then started smelling funny. Got binned in the end.

Margarine is easier to preserve in the tropical heat. Unfortunately it tastes crap.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

The real question is why margarine has a grassy taste.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Well there is a way to achieve that, but...* cough*
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic