khmer help

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: khmer help

Post by Jerry Atrick »

violet wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:17 am

Oh I remember turn off a light now. So it’s closer to close than to stop (bat)?
Has many applications and can be used for turn, close, stop and other variations thereof contextually. Chup tweeka is more like somebody quit their job, imo and bat tweeka is more like daily finish etc

There are far better examples but I'm too stoned rn

English is a fucked up language and translating stuff to it directly from other languages is often nonsensical, kind of like how int the spanish lingo "pasta" can mean noodles, paste, money, pasta, pulp, porridge, pap, swag, loot, money, penn, cabbage, lead etc depending on the context that it is used in

Forgive me if my explanation is all over the place - a language teacher I am not
Sintech_Rain
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Sintech_Rain »

Would like to correct some mix up, I tried to stay true to Choun Nat dictionary. Source: I'm a Native Khmer Speaker, Dictionary, and http://www.english-khmer.com/

Let's go over some basic vocabulary, my Khmer transliteration suxs so I'll include the Khmer spelling

បាទ baat/bart yes,sure,agreed,affirmative (masculine)
ចា៎ cha-a yes,sure,agreed,affirmative (feminine)
ហ្នឹងហើយ Neung hai thats right, that the one, thats it, almost like saying uh-huh/yeah

ឈប់ chub/chupp : to stop, halt, cease

ការបញ្ឈប់ kal banchob : to stop something or someone, to cause to stop by force

បាត់ bat : to lose, disappear, to be lost/missing, to be ruined, to perish

បិទ bet : to turn off, to close, to stick, paste, glue
បិទភ្លើង bet plueng : turn off the lights , បិទទ្វារ bet tvear: close the door , បិទត្រចៀក bet trachiek :close your ears

When speaking Khmer you need to add context. Chhup tverka, stop working is perfectly fine to say when its time to clock out.
For example, Dol pael chupp tver ka haey ដល់ពេលឈប់ធ្វើការហើយ។ Its time to stop working.

Quitting your job is Chubb pi ka gnear ឈប់ពីការងារ

Let's also go over the example of one of the above post "But, for example, asking someone what time they finish work you wouldn't say "Bong chup twokaaa maon maan" but rather "Bong bat twoo maon mann" "

បងឈប់ធ្វើការម៉ោងប៉ុន្មាន? bong chuhb tver ka maong bonman? What time are you stopping work is perfectly fine usage.

បងបិទទ្វារពេលណា bong bet tvear pelna (when are you closing) or បងបិទទ្វារម៉ោងប៉ុន្មាន bong bet tvear moang bonman (what time are you closing) only works if your asking when they close the shop themselves, or when the office/place of work is closing. Doesn't really imply what time they are getting off work per say.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Jlucas wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:45 am can someone please explain the difference between bat/ja and "nung hi"

thank you
"Ng ai" is a contraction of "ng haey/ហ្នឹងហើយ", which is a positive affirmative that can be used in many different situations which is why you hear it so often: "is that so?", "really?", "I understand" And "alright" all can translate into ហ្នឹងហើយ.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic