rent deposit question for those that know

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: rent deposit question for those that know

Post by Kenr »

I’m sorry, but the way I look at it is if one is living month to month, which apparently the OP’s friend was, I don’t understand how one is paying $1,200 per month for rent.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:08 am Friend called me this morning he has to head to Thailand for prolonged medical procedure and has decided to move there at least for 12 months.
He has been renting same apartment for 5 years, through Covid his monthly check went haywire and his rent was two months in arrears going on three by the time it was sorted his landlord moved him into a cheaper apartment $600 a month until he paid then when paid back into a better one $1,200. He has just given notice and the landlord says well I cannot give you back your $3,600 deposit and advance because you broke the lease by late rent. Bloody big interest and surly not legal since they didn't boot him out. I was of the belief late rent interest is something like 3%. He was relying on his deposit to help cover his relocation but I am guessing he hasn't much of leg to stand on. Anyone had a similar problem or he just has to walk away.
What does his contract say about late payments? Usually in Cambodia the contract just state that if you are late more than 7 days, you will lose the deposit and you will be evicted. That is the common way in Cambodia. Usually there is no interest or anything mention.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

ressl wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:07 pm I wonder how you can spend $1200 rent per month into an apartment in Cambodia. Given that he had done that for 5 years, those are roughly $72k. Looking at it from that point of view, crying about the additional $60 per month ($3600 / 60) makes no sense to me, since this guy seems to have money to throw away anyway
I've seen far more expensive here its 4 bedroom , he has 3 kids and a wife
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:28 pm
What does his contract say about late payments? Usually in Cambodia the contract just state that if you are late more than 7 days, you will lose the deposit and you will be evicted. That is the common way in Cambodia. Usually there is no interest or anything mention.
its not mentioned apparently
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ozinasia wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:43 pm
ressl wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:07 pm I wonder how you can spend $1200 rent per month into an apartment in Cambodia. Given that he had done that for 5 years, those are roughly $72k. Looking at it from that point of view, crying about the additional $60 per month ($3600 / 60) makes no sense to me, since this guy seems to have money to throw away anyway
I've seen far more expensive here its 4 bedroom , he has 3 kids and a wife
Exactly, not everyone lives in a bedsit hovel.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

My view is once you need to go over 600 then you should be buying, not renting.
That said, you can easily rent a decent place to house a family for 600 or less
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just curious:
You say he is heading to Thailand, Is he over 50? How will he workout visas?
schools are not cheap and 3 kids.......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:44 pm just curious:
You say he is heading to Thailand, Is he over 50? How will he workout visas?
schools are not cheap and 3 kids.......
He has stage 3 liver cancer that must be removed then undergo Chemo he doesn't want to do it here , he has had frequent trips this last year for medical purposes he is 67 years of age.
not sure on kids and schooling but I am sure he has taken that into account
reflexline
Expatriate

Post by reflexline »

One option might be to not pay the final month's rent or utilities, which should reduce losses to under a thousand dollars.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic