Booking dot com not paying hoteliers in Thailand and elsewhere

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Booking dot com not paying hoteliers in Thailand and elsewhere

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:32 am
cabron wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:18 am
crob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:34 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:54 pm
Guess time to shift to Agoda Or hotels.com
Booking Holdings, owns both bookings.com and agoda, plus a bunch more booking sites
like I said in many occasions, deal directly with the hotel avoid the third party and hick up.
The problem with dealing direct is many small hotels don't operate websites that work and communication is often difficult and delayed via email. Furthermore, they can't offer any rates that are less or equal to the online price - I believe that is part of their deal with online bookers like Bookings.com

Plus, I don't want to give my payment card details to random hotels in sketchy parts of the world to secure a booking.
On most of these sites, including booking, it's possible to book without making a payment and to pay cash to the hotel on arrival

Also, typically I can get an equal or reduced night fee in person compared to the booking sites - and if I can't I have no shame about walking outside, booking it cheaper online & walking back in 30 seconds later with my booking reference # - diick move maybe but when I am tired, dirty and hungry from road and want to get a room and get cleaned up and go eat I take that move
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:38 am
Booking Holdings, owns both bookings.com and agoda, plus a bunch more booking sites
like I said in many occasions, deal directly with the hotel avoid the third party and hick up.

if a hotel uses a booking engine,they can NOT offer a lower price online >

Even walk in you seldom get a lower price>many many times i have arrived and asked for a lower price than shown online and they just tell me to book online
EVEN thou they will make more $$$
I've had that as well and tend to chalk it down to low level staff that either aren't allowed to give special prices or just don't want to deal with it.

Once in Thailand the receptionist insisted it was cheaper online but it turned out to be almost double the price. Holiday prices online but regular prices in the reception.

But in general I book for a day or two and if the place is nice I try to negotiate from there, that usually works better.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

The problem with dealing direct is many small hotels don't operate websites that work and communication is often difficult and delayed via email. Furthermore, they can't offer any rates that are less or equal to the online price - I believe that is part of their deal with online bookers like Bookings.com

Plus, I don't want to give my payment card details to random hotels in sketchy parts of the world to secure a booking.
for me its first Agoda is often cheaper, and that they lets you use pay pal 4 split payment, what typically makes its easier to pay for holidays, I'll typically book 3 n half months out, first 2 months are paying it off, the next 4 to 6 weeks is saving my spending money, also like there ''my bookings', makes it easy to see your plans.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

On my recent bookings in Europe I mostly got a little bonus if I interacted directly with the hotel: these included free breakfast, late checkout or even an additional free day in one case.

I tried to do that in ASIA in the past and it rarely worked. The staff responding on phone or replying to email rarely gave a fuck.
work is for people who cant find truffles
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

I never used my credit cards for budget hotels,only for major chains hotels.
Boredom is like a shroud
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I too have experienced the cheaper online option. A week ago in PP I had booked 2 nights via Agoda and when I asked to extend a night and pay in cash they flat out told me it would save me about 25% if I just did it online again. WTF?

On another note a buyer beware story. About a year and a half or so ago (after things finally got back to "normal" after covid) I was in Canada and booked a cheap hotel in PP on Hotels.com that I had stayed at many times in the past Imagine my surprise to show up at 10 PM to a shuttered hotel that I assume did not survive covid and Hotels.com was still selling rooms for it!

When I contacted the company I was told that they could not reach the hotel to confirm my situation so I was not eligible for a refund! You couldn't reach them because they are closed, you fuckwits. It was only about 20 bucks so I never took it further but this strikes me as downright fraud.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Good tip about avoiding the middleman issue. Now I book only 1 or 2 days online and then I can negotiate in person once I'm there if I like the place. I got fed up with the whole Booking/Expedia juggernaut, so I started using Ctrip (trip.com), but then I found out even they are partially owned by Expedia group. Quite a consolidated industry! Reminds me of Coke & Pepsi. I even tried Klook. It's not bad. But they don't disclose that they often transact direct through, guess who? Agoda. Pretty circular process.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Roryborealis wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:48 am
Good tip about avoiding the middleman issue. Now I book only 1 or 2 days online and then I can negotiate in person once I'm there if I like the place. I got fed up with the whole Booking/Expedia juggernaut, so I started using Ctrip (trip.com), but then I found out even they are partially owned by Expedia group. Quite a consolidated industry! Reminds me of Coke & Pepsi. I even tried Klook. It's not bad. But they don't disclose that they often transact direct through, guess who? Agoda. Pretty circular process.
Unless that I go to a new destination, I always book hotels that I stayed previously via Internet. I maintained the business card of hotels that I was happy with,so they know me and there no need to gives credit cards info.
Boredom is like a shroud
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I received the above last night from booking.com telling me to prepare for my upcoming trip to Pokhara in four days when my booking in Pokhara isn't for another two and a half weeks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic