$204 is the new minimum wage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: $204 is the new minimum wage

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:13 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:00 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:11 pm Yet most people (if they have a job) is getting 100-150 which is even more absurd. Or 30-50 if you're unlucky enough to be an underage domestic worker in your rich uncles mansion.
I don't know any Khmer working for $100-150 per month

Perhaps ten years ago

Good luck finding any worthwhile help by advertising $204, either - there's enough choice that 99% won't work for that
You must only hangout with fancy Khmer people then.

10 years ago $1 a day was not uncommon, these days it tends to be $5 per day which the locals consider a fair pay, $10 per day for fysical labor.
Though during covid a lot of "regular staff" were clearing no more than $100-$120, I imagine it's still much the same.

I know a couple of locals making $200 or more but they are few and far between.
Well, I typically don't enquire about peoples salary level, as it's taboo in my home nation

But several years back $12.5 was the cheapest day labour rate we paid

Even over a decade ago my menial staff were close to 200 plus benefits

I also know a great many bars and restaurants that CAN NOT get even non english speaking help for $250/300 pcm in recent years

Beware the poor mouth - they are usually after something
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:36 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:13 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:11 pm Yet most people (if they have a job) is getting 100-150 which is even more absurd. Or 30-50 if you're unlucky enough to be an underage domestic worker in your rich uncles mansion.

Perhaps ten years ago

Good luck finding any worthwhile help by advertising $204, either - there's enough choice that 99% won't work for that
You must only hangout with fancy Khmer people then.

10 years ago $1 a day was not uncommon, these days it tends to be $5 per day which the locals consider a fair pay, $10 per day for fysical labor.
Though during covid a lot of "regular staff" were clearing no more than $100-$120, I imagine it's still much the same.

I know a couple of locals making $200 or more but they are few and far between.
Well, I typically don't enquire about peoples salary level, as it's taboo in my home nation

But several years back $12.5 was the cheapest day labour rate we paid

Even over a decade ago my menial staff were close to 200 plus benefits

I also know a great many bars and restaurants that CAN NOT get even non english speaking help for $250/300 pcm in recent years

Beware the poor mouth - they are usually after something
Kampot going rate for cleaning, cooking and maintenance is 150$. Westerners sometimes gets paid more. Cleaning ladies sometimes less.

Yet I even know westerners working for $100 - $150 a month as teachers.

It's pretty messed up but its been the same in every developing country I've lived. Uneducated people often need two jobs to aquire minimal wage.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

in mid 2022 kep: my house build
our experienced workers were being paid $10/day
NON experienced $6.50
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

In the States I have seen job listing signs at MacDonald's for $13-$15/hour. But that would be relevant to the cost of living. Still that wage is barely a living-wage for the States.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Perhaps ten years ago

I've never heard of anyone working for 100/mo, but I know of quite a few people 17-24 who are working for less than 200 but more than 150USD per month (especially in the restaurant industry), and though they have a lot of dead time when they are browsing their phones doing nothing, it's still time they have to be there.

I imagine when tourism is booming, pay is much higher, at least that is what I was told (e.g, before COVID, a friend of mine who used to tend bar said he made almost 400/mo working 10 hours a day, 5 days a week)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I personally dont see how $4 will make a difference in anyones life

Heres the pros and cons (cant see $4 doing anything they claim)
On September 1, 2023, during a meeting with nearly 20,000 workers in Takhmau City, Kandal province, the newly elected Prime Minister HM pledged to increase the minimum wage for workers in the textile, garment, footwear, and travel products and bags sectors. Consequently, he instructed the Labor Minister and the National Council on Minimum Wage (NCMW) to negotiate a minimum wage increase for the workers. The minimum wage for the country’s textile, garment, and footwear (TGF) industries is US$200 per month. According to the information released by the Ministry of Labor and Vocational Training​​ (MLVT) on September 18, 2023, the MLVT organized a meeting, with employers’ representatives setting $201.50 as their final offer and workers’ representatives proposing a range of $204 to $213. Meanwhile, the Royal government had also set $202 for the minimum wage increase. After a long wait, on September 28, 2023, the MLVT officially announced that starting from January 1, 2024, workers in the textile, garment, footwear, and travel goods and bag sectors will have a minimum wage of US $204 per month for full-time workers and US $202 per month for probationary workers. This news brings joy to workers as their salaries have increased once again. However, every action has its advantages and disadvantages.

The minimum wage is the lowest wage that employers can legally pay employees.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501369580/ ... -and-cons/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It makes a difference when the factory closes down and moves to Bangladesh or somewhere else. It which case the former Cambodian garment workers make zero.

Those making the cloth need to be paid, as well as those who color the cloth, not just the clothes makers.

Overall costs increase.

So can Cambodian workers increase their skills to justify their higher wages over Bangladeshi workers?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic