Bayon Pearnik much improved

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Bayon Pearnik much improved

Post by Hotdigr »

Clippy, Reef Resort used to have BP. Not sure if they still do though 'cause it was about 6 months ago I was last in there.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

I would like to see the financials of a magazine like the BP. Cost of production and distribution vs. ad revenue, etc. The paid newspaper model in many places has all but collapsed (places with ubiquitous, decent speed wi-fi, anyway), as most people have gravitated to reading news online. But as not every place in Cambodia has that technology, the free BP has little competition for readers. I bet each copy left in a riverside restaurant gets hundreds of readers per month. I used to read them, but almost never took them with me when I left the restaurant.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Each 1/8th page advert is worth between $ 50 and $75 per month.

Not a bad return on the BP, I'd say.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Jerry Atrick wrote:Each 1/8th page advert is worth between $ 50 and $75 per month.

Not a bad return on the BP, I'd say.
Nice. Any idea what one complete monthly issuance would cost, all-in...writers, paper, printing and delivery?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Soi Dog wrote:
clippy wrote:does it still have that bit where the guy writes 2 or 3 entire pages about how bad America is in every single issue ??
No, but thankfully we have several CEO posters that fill that void...again and again and again......

I haven't looked at other recent issues. I wonder if they bagged ol' Stan Kahn...the geriatric and forlorn skirt chaser and disco patron. Lots of his stuff was cringe-worthy.

EDIT: perhaps they do still have an America-hater on staff. The last page of the BP is World News and throws around the tired and lame Obama bashing stuff.
I pretty much always pick up a copy of the Pearnik and the Echo. I may have missed the odd month here and there, but I'm usually pretty consistent. The Pearnik still have the ultra left-wing writing on a monthly basis. I usually just skip it as it always consists of the same few topics: evil oil companies, bad US government, military-industrial complex, US foreign policy etc. Stan Kahn still writes I believe, though sometimes the editors forget to put his name at the end, haha. My favourite part is usually the horoscope. Sounds stupid but it consistently makes me crack up. Pub page is alright and there's usually at least one good article of interest (to me). The Echo is somewhat between the Bayon and Asia Life. They have interesting random articles. Feels like you're reading an encyclopedia at times, but the articles are generally nice. I once met the editor of The Echo, and he told me he didn't know how Asia Life could sustain it's business as their printing costs must have been astronomical. He admitted they were the best, but said his costs were quite high so he didn't know how they made it work. This was 5 years ago though, and Asia Life has certainly found itself a niche and has A LOT of advertisers. It represents the new Cambodian expat a lot better by catering to the NGO crowd, families, young gap-year types, inters, women and so on. But I personally find most of their articles very superficial. The quality of the pictures, the layout and graphic design are amazing though. Good to find new eateries. It's quite professional, but it always feels a bit lame and too "Equinox-ish". I'll typically pick it up once every two months or so as I only get it at Supercheap.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The BP horoscopes are the best :thumb: - written specially for the weird and wonderful Cambodia ex-pats.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic